• Register Today It's free!

what is this on the front bumper?

TorontoUser

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sports
I went home today and found that someone cut off part of my front bumper. I actually do not know what he/she has done. :)
Can anyone tell me what this is and what I should do next? We will have some rain soon...
P10826-183718.jpg
P10826-183710.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A piece threads in for recovery hook...

20180704_031250.jpg

s-l400.jpg

Thanks for the response. Interesting. So why someone just cut a hole on my car. For what?

Thanks for the response. Interesting. So why someone just cut a hole on my car. For what?

They actually sell a cap to cover the opening if yours no long has it.

The cap probably fell out. You just didn't notice until the cap was gone. I guess frozen water could push the caps out too.

The cap probably fell out. You just didn't notice until the cap was gone. I guess frozen water could push the caps out too.
So it is not that someone stole it? The hole looked like it has been cut off with a bad tool.

So it is not that someone stole it? The hole looked like it has been cut off with a bad tool.
Previous owner may have cutout it out. Dunno

I guess when it gets down to it there are a lot of parts on a car that you don't really need..

That hole was always part of the bumper. My guess is that someone at some point used it and put the tow hook in or removed it sloppily roughing it up around the inner edges. You only noticed this now because the little cap fell off while driving

The tow hook should be in with the jack and spare tire if you haven't already seen it.

Peter

Back