What is this??? pic attached...

guitarguru

Reaction score
City, State
Baltimore, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Sport 4x4
Hey guys,
I bought a 93 ford explorer. I am looking over the whole truck. I found this in the engine compartment and it looks like the tubes coming off the top of it have been cut. Any knowledge on this would be much appreciated. Thanks much! :feedback:
unknownpart-1.jpg

unknownpartclose-1.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That is called the evaporative emmions control canister. It has activated charcoal inside it to absorb gasoline vapors escaping from the gas tank vent while the truck is parked not running. When you start the engine, there is a solenoid valve that opens and lets engine vacuum suck the vapors into the intake to be burned.

In older fords they used a metal can that is the spitting image of a coffee can. So if you have seen those, the plastic one on your explorer is the "updated" version of this same component.

That is the evap canister. It is full of charcoal and has a hose running back to the gas tank to soak up the excess fumes. There is also a hose running to the motor, and when the motor is running a solenoid controls the intake of said fumes into the motor to burn them.

There wasn't tubes there where it was broken off, there is supposed to be little caps. Most likely a quick hunt through a junk yard could yield another one that has those caps on it. It is not crucial to the running of the vehicle, but it is good to have for emissions and efficiency purposes.

Edit: Ahh dang, looks like I was beat to the post.

Hey thanks much for the quick replies. So they were not tubes. They were caps. It does appear that the cap was broken off as you can see in the pictures. I'm trying to figure out why they were broken and also if I can just get the caps and put them on even though the stem parts on this one is broken. Any input? Thanks again! :)

If you're that concerned, just go to the JY, pull a good evap can, and replace yours. Personally I wouldn't worry about it.

I have accidentally knocked them off of mine with tools or whatever, i'm sure this is what happend to your in the past.

Mine had a broken/missing cap and it failed the annual smog check because of that! I duck taped it but the dude said no good. Found a whole new can at the j.y.

Anyone know how to remove the canister or if it will affect anything if you do remove this part of the emissions s***? Cuz where i live im lucky enough to not have to go through smog testing:D

Its not one of those emissions things that take away horse power. It just collects the vapors from your gas tank, hold onto them until things are up and running, then it opens a valve to let the vapors into the throttle body so they can be burned instead of vented into the air like they did back in the old days.

~Mark

Its not one of those emissions things that take away horse power. It just collects the vapors from your gas tank, hold onto them until things are up and running, then it opens a valve to let the vapors into the throttle body so they can be burned instead of vented into the air like they did back in the old days.

~Mark

so would it hurt anything to remove the evap canister?

"possibly". I don't know if the computer checks that solenoid during its testing. I know it checks the 2 solenoids in the transmission so it is possible. If it does you will have codes stored in the ECM and might even get a CEL.

As for, will it hurt performance, no.. will it hurt emisions? It will by venting fuel vapors into the atmosphere. I'm no tree hugger and we drive/own vehicles ranging from 40 mpg to 10 mpg I wouldn't vent the fuel vapors into the air where there was a perfectly good simple system built in.

~Mark

Not to mention it would seem it would help give you a more complete burn of your gas. The gas vapors are what are flammable, not the liquid itself.

Not to mention it would seem it would help give you a more complete burn of your gas. The gas vapors are what are flammable, not the liquid itself.

thats true. i never thought of that till you mentioned it

well i took the canister off and just connected the 2 hoses together. i guess ill see what it does over the next few days

Back