• Register Today It's free!

What is this sensor?

Suzuki14258

Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Explorer xlt awd
Can someone help me figure out what this sensor is? I hit a hog and could have filed insurance but my explorer would have totaled and I can’t have that so I got a front clip off a newer limited explorer from a pull a part. Mine is a 1995 Ford Explorer xlt and none of the ones at the pull a part had this same one. Mines broken so I don’t really know what it looked like. I thought maybe it was a ambient temp sensor but it doesn’t look anything like the ones on rock auto. This is the last thing I need to replace.

Thanks for any help.

74C98BD0-0899-40E4-9164-2B7AFA6DBE17.jpeg 43213187-FE9B-47DD-808C-ACA7EC773982.jpeg D4094172-B7E1-4BED-B1F7-A3B40FAE7A49.jpeg F45D1D7B-4C67-47A2-BCE4-AD31B85CFB6B.jpeg 0B6C1014-C52B-46BB-9E22-29598C8AA3FB.jpeg

Attachments

• 74C98BD0-0899-40E4-9164-2B7AFA6DBE17.jpeg
    74C98BD0-0899-40E4-9164-2B7AFA6DBE17.jpeg
    131.9 KB · Views: 80
  • 43213187-FE9B-47DD-808C-ACA7EC773982.jpeg
    43213187-FE9B-47DD-808C-ACA7EC773982.jpeg
    109.8 KB · Views: 89
  • D4094172-B7E1-4BED-B1F7-A3B40FAE7A49.jpeg
    D4094172-B7E1-4BED-B1F7-A3B40FAE7A49.jpeg
    99.8 KB · Views: 74
  • F45D1D7B-4C67-47A2-BCE4-AD31B85CFB6B.jpeg
    F45D1D7B-4C67-47A2-BCE4-AD31B85CFB6B.jpeg
    330.7 KB · Views: 100

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That looks like an ABS sensor connector, which mounts on top of the frame right about where your picture has that broken one. There's a small hole on the top of the frame that the sensor pushes into, it has a plastic push in part that goes into the hole. The ABS sensors from the front wheels push into about three frame holes, running along the outer surface ahead of the wheel and spindle, ending just on top of the frame. Those will be the same on both sides for the ABS sensor wires.

That looks like an ABS sensor connector, which mounts on top of the frame right about where your picture has that broken one. There's a small hole on the top of the frame that the sensor pushes into, it has a plastic push in part that goes into the hole. The ABS sensors from the front wheels push into about three frame holes, running along the outer surface ahead of the wheel and spindle, ending just on top of the frame. Those will be the same on both sides for the ABS sensor wires.

The connector does kind of look like a abs connector that plugs into whatever this sensor is but i took a picture of where it mounts and I just set it on top of frame to take a picture of it originally. The abs connectors are ok though and that’s all working. It’s between the grille and bumper.

67A6A657-0089-43DE-AA0F-BA33F41DF811.jpeg

Here is all that I have in that area on my 95 .... the ABS connector and then unknown to me other connector in white going to/connecting to black block -- circled in red <<< maybe some other member can inform us both what this is ..... Your (faded) black damaged connector does indeed look like my ABS one in picture but you're stating otherwise... maybe my pics can shed some light on all this... Good luck.

PIC 2.jpg PIC 1.jpg

There are a couple of sensors which look like the ambient sensor, they may both be, in that radiator area.

The color of the connector will help a lot, they are usually different colors for different functions, as much as OEM could make them different.

Here is what is in that area on my 96 XLT.

FD7DC412-3CAB-4FE0-8CA0-37B0D5053CE7.jpeg

Here is a sample pic of what the backside looks like:

-how-ohc-overhead-console-install-98-03-dsc_0009-1.jpg

/\ So what is it ?

Outside air temp sensor for the overhead display etc..

That reminds me that i need to acquire one of them to install my console (plus a bit of wiring pigtail.

Same sensor as the dash gauge coolant Temperature
All use the same style sensor and plug

Really - exact same sensor just exposed to ambient air?

I'm guessing this one pictured is my air bag actuator / sensor....yes?

PIC 1.jpg

Curious about why you didn't file insurance. When my 98 was T-boned by a pickup truck, I filed an insurance claim. The rear passenger side door and running board were damaged but no damage to the frame. State Farm totaled out the SUV but I was able to buy it back for $400. The body shop guy who gave me the original estimate then worked with me and got a used door, reattached the running board and threw some paint over any scratches. Ended up with reliable daily driver for my daughter, and money ahead.

Hitting a hog would have been a comprehensive claim, and I don't THINK that it would affect your insurance rate. I've been involved in a couple of comprehensive claims in the last few years and they didn't affect my insurance cost. The only downside that see is that your state might require you to get a "totaled" Title, in Illinois there is no such thing so I got to keep the original title. I'll drive mine until it goes to the junk yard so even the tile didn't matter to me.

again just curious, your situation could very well be much different from mine.

Curious about why you didn't file insurance. When my 98 was T-boned by a pickup truck, I filed an insurance claim. The rear passenger side door and running board were damaged but no damage to the frame. State Farm totaled out the SUV but I was able to buy it back for $400. The body shop guy who gave me the original estimate then worked with me and got a used door, reattached the running board and threw some paint over any scratches. Ended up with reliable daily driver for my daughter, and money ahead.

Hitting a hog would have been a comprehensive claim, and I don't THINK that it would affect your insurance rate. I've been involved in a couple of comprehensive claims in the last few years and they didn't affect my insurance cost. The only downside that see is that your state might require you to get a "totaled" Title, in Illinois there is no such thing so I got to keep the original title. I'll drive mine until it goes to the junk yard so even the tile didn't matter to me.

Was it a "Hog motor cycle" or a 4 legged hog for sandwiches....."The Donald", wants to know"?????

After 10 years old salvage title is no longer an issue.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm guessing this one pictured is my air bag actuator / sensor....yes?
yes
look at the pic the wire goes directly into the airbag sensor

Back