What is this Switch for? (Under the hood) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What is this Switch for? (Under the hood)

jk7294

Reaction score
City, State
Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Limited V8
I cannot figure out what this switch is for. I Assume it may be for an under hood light, which my truck does not have. I may be wrong. The harness goes somewhere into the mysterious wiring of the truck. I don't think I have seen an Explorer with a light under the hood. Mine has pretty much all of the options you can get and mu friends fancy Eddie B does not have one either. Someone out there will know I am sure.

Switch1.jpg

Switch2.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I HAVE THE SAME EXACT SWITCH AND HAVE WONDERED THAT SAME THING SINCE i OWNED THE MOUNTAINEER...

I HAVE THE SAME EXACT SWITCH AND HAVE WONDERED THAT SAME THING SINCE i OWNED THE MOUNTAINEER...
I thought it may signal the "Door Ajar" if your hood was unlatched, I tested it, and nope. I have seen it on many Explorers and Mountaniers and it seems to do nothing! Does anyone have an under hood light on their truck?
I did make an under hood light out of a few alligator clips and an old 1156 marker bulb and socket that I found in the garage. Works great, just hook the clips to the battery. I think my friends Grandpa made it way back in the day, I just rewired it and added a big alligator clip so you can clamp it to anything. I will attach a pic later of it.

Here is the light I found and rewired and added a clamp to. Did not cost a dime and is nice to have in the toolbox. Works as a test light if you use some paper clips or scrap wires on the leads as well.

hood light.JPG

HoodLight2.JPG

It's the hood switch. Straight from the Wiring Manual for 2002 Explorer/Mountaineer.

If I am not mistaken it is tied back to the factory alarm system.

Funny...

Almost as good as you are....

Back