What is this under the hood?

Hitchhikingmike

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLS
I know this has most likely been asked before. I tried searching for it, but I do not know what to search for, for an item of which I do not know it's name. I was wonder what this module is..

n557846679_1675442_6185.jpg

n557846679_1675443_7416.jpg

I took out the module, and cannot understand what its function is or what the two hoses connected to it do. The hoses do not have any suction either when the engine is running.

Anyone know?

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

evap canister.one hose come from the solinoid thats under the fuel injectors / fuel rail and the other hose runs back to the gas tank ....you kinda need that part ......it vents back fuel fumes back to the tank .

Yes, its the evap or charcoal canister. It stores fumes from the fuel, then fumes are sucked in when conditions are "right".

For the 2nd gen, the canister was moved to the back above the spare tire.

its not truely needed though. mine is disconnected and i did not notice much of a change in fuel milage.... now it makes a difference on polution standards... brain went blank when they do the testing it can casue you not to pass the smog testing...

Back