• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

What is this vacuum line?

PStansberry78

Reaction score
City, State
Edmond, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer XL
I found this vacuum line like this when I went to add oil to my truck the other day. It seems obvious where it should hook in, so I did. That day, it started running rough. Surging during acceleration, sputtering out the tailpipe.

What is this line?

picture.php

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

PStansberry78

Reaction score
City, State
Edmond, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer XL
It did that for a couple of days, but seems (relatively) fine today.

Maniak

Moderator-Stock 91-94
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Vail, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT 4x4
That looks like one of the lines from the evap system. The box with the 2 round things on the top in the pic is the evap canister. One line goes from there to the tank and another line goes from there to a fitting under the throttle body. The one that goes to the throttle body also has a solenoid/valve between the evap canister and TB which opens when the vehicle is warm/running so it can pull fuel vapors from the charcoal canister (evap canister) and burn them off.

~Mark

vq5speed

Reaction score
City, State
1991 XLT Manual Locks
Year, Model & Trim Level
Stockton,Ca
Yeah it looks like it should plug right into that hose its laying on...

BrooklynBay

Moderator & long time member.
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars