• Register Today It's free!

What kind of grease...

Blrob

Reaction score
City, State
Buffalo, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 XLT
To use to lubricate caliper slide pins? I was thinking lithium or boat grease. any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the slides that are real thin that the brake pads ride on? i used the little packets of brake grease from any autoparts store.

the slide pins that are mounted on the caliper and slid into the caliper bracket? i ordered a new caliper bracket and was sent silicone and advised not to use grease

We use Brake Caliper Grease.

21IxqBFzErL.jpg

You used to be able to find it at the Chain auto parts stores but I haven't seen it there in a while.

Last time we got the tube from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-20353-Ultra-Brake-Caliper/dp/B000HBM85C

Its about time to order another and I'll probably get a bigger bottle.
http://www.amazon.com/Bendix-BL20-Ceramic-Brake-Lubricant/dp/B004TGVP14

We have also used Anti-seize when working on a vehicle somewhere and we don't have the caliper grease (I carry anti-seize in the X, but not brake caliper grease).

~Mark

To use to lubricate caliper slide pins? I was thinking lithium or boat grease. any suggestions?

I see you are in the Buffalo, NY area as well, so just go to an Advance Auto parts store, they sell caliper slide pin grease in small packets right at the check out counter. In the small packets, the grease is green in color. Sells for $1 a packet. Just ask the counter person about it.

Thanks for the help. I had to replace the right side caliper bracket because 1 of the caliper pins seized in it. Silicone grease sounds like the best thing to use since it won't dry out like whatever was in there. I'm assuming it was just regular lube grease. I had the idea for the boat grease and lithium grease because they should resist water and heat. Any thoughts?

Thanks for the help. I had to replace the right side caliper bracket because 1 of the caliper pins seized in it. Silicone grease sounds like the best thing to use since it won't dry out like whatever was in there. I'm assuming it was just regular lube grease. I had the idea for the boat grease and lithium grease because they should resist water and heat. Any thoughts?

Not sure if the Marine grease being the best to use for the brake caliper pins, but it does resist water and I use it all the time on my boats outdrive, lower unit. The lower unit of a boat, the grease fitting/hinge point area of the outdrive, will not generate the type of heat while in use as the brake calipers will during constant braking. The Marine grease is just basically used to lubricate the outdrive hinge points so you can "Trim the motor" during operation and to trailer the boat with your vehicle and raise the outdrive up in the boat trailering position for driving down the road with the boat. I would think the Permatex brake caliper pin grease would be the best to use since it was specifically made for this application. Some people do use white lithium grease as well on the pins.

Back