What kind of milage should I expect, and what do you get? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What kind of milage should I expect, and what do you get?

With our '04 V8 AWD, my wife averages 16mpg in 50/50 driving. I took it on a 500 mile trip and got 20.5mpg all using trip computer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The message center milage calculator blows. Its never right. Tells me I'm averaging 18.4mpg but real world calculations are 19.5~20. :confused:

Here is what I have always wondered with these stock computer/OBDII gas mileage calculators: do they still record the gas going into the engine while the truck is being started? While the truck starts, I would think that the mileage calculator does not have any power to be recording as the starter is sucking all the power away. If this was true then the calculation on the computer would be higher than the actual mileage because it is not recording gas consumption while the truck is being started.

Does anyone understand what I am talking about? This is just a theory of mine, I have never used a computer to calculate my mileage for me.

Here is what I have always wondered with these stock computer/OBDII gas mileage calculators: do they still record the gas going into the engine while the truck is being started? While the truck starts, I would think that the mileage calculator does not have any power to be recording as the starter is sucking all the power away. If this was true then the calculation on the computer would be higher than the actual mileage because it is not recording gas consumption while the truck is being started.

Does anyone understand what I am talking about? This is just a theory of mine, I have never used a computer to calculate my mileage for me.

Step away from the computer and get a beer! :D

I havent done a lot of research on it, but zMax can't be that bad for your engine if there willing to offer a warranty, for the engines internal lubricated parts. It seems to be they offer the warranty for 6,000 miles every time you use it as long as you send in the registration card for up to a maximum of 150,000 miles. I know I wouldnt offer that kind of protection if I sold a product that damaged engines.

Thats why i started using it, but if someone is getting equal or better mileage than what i am getting with the ZMax than why use it. Its not Free ya know.

With our '04 V8 AWD, my wife averages 16mpg in 50/50 driving. I took it on a 500 mile trip and got 20.5mpg all using trip computer.

With my '04-V8 AWD (42k miles on it) I just got 20.5 mpg average on an 1100 mile trip. New factory-spec Michelins. Speeds were around 70-75mph. I was amazed.

I don't ever get 16 around the city however, even though half of it is thruways.

The highest I've ever gotten is 14...

when i was up in North NJ, Bergen County, 5 People in the car.... i was getting 11 MPG

4x4 v6

the same truck does 26.x all day long on highway crusing (edit)

When your vehicle is idling the computer uses an MPG of 0, which is why the trip computer is usually 1-2mpg off of what you really get. I find the fuel economy calculator on my mom's 2005 Pacifica to be more accurate then the one in my Mounty.

when i was up in North NJ, Bergen County, 5 People in the car.... i was getting 11 MPG

4x4 v6

the same truck does 26.x all day long on highway crushing

I get like 12-13 around town with usually a minimum of me and another occupant. Did a nice run on the LIE yesterday and saturday and got about 20.5mpg doing 65-70 with the AC on with 4 passengers.

I get 23 hwy 18 city/moutain (I have to go over a mountain every day to get to work)

Using Amsoil 35,000 mile oil and their eao oil filter (25,000 mile) ( change the oil and filter every 25,000 or when it starts using.)
And a K & N air filter.

hyper mileage driving

I read an article in my local newspaper about hyper mileage driving. It has a lot of good ideas about why some people get better miles per gallon even tho they have the same vehicles. Of course every cars gets different numbers. I work for dominos and i got about 13 to 14 miles per gallon. Then i read the article and turned off the car at every customers house instead of letting it idle, ( any more that 10 to 15 seconds and your wasting gas). I increased the pressure in my tires to 39 psi and got rid of all the useless junk in the car that added pounds and now it get 19 to 20 miles to the gallon. Read any article on it and you will get an increase in your mpg. Good luck

I read an article in my local newspaper about hyper mileage driving. It has a lot of good ideas about why some people get better miles per gallon even tho they have the same vehicles. Of course every cars gets different numbers. I work for dominos and i got about 13 to 14 miles per gallon. Then i read the article and turned off the car at every customers house instead of letting it idle, ( any more that 10 to 15 seconds and your wasting gas). I increased the pressure in my tires to 39 psi and got rid of all the useless junk in the car that added pounds and now it get 19 to 20 miles to the gallon. Read any article on it and you will get an increase in your mpg. Good luck

I used all the tricks in my 2003 ford Escape v6, managed to get 29.1 mixed loop.

i did turn off the engine at stoplights, and coasted everywhere. to me its not worth the BS methods for an extra 3.5 Mpg. plus all that starting must be bad for the starter.

my Explorer is doing great at 24 MPG highway ive gotten onny a fraction more by keeping my tires inflated to 40PSI

ill take the 36 PSI tires and enjoy a much quieter ride

hyper mileage driving

I agree, a lot of it is a hassle and some of the things they do are dangerous but with the cost of gas, i am gonna do my best to squeeze as much as i can out of a gallon. as far as the starter is concerned , if you do a lot of driving it will pay for the cost of replacing a starter,(which more than likely wouldn't go out for years), in just a couple of months at most. Whatever legal way i can save gas is worth it.

Well we just took the Explorer on its first roadtrip. 21.03 MPGs is the best I could muster. 70 miles Interstate and 200 miles backroads through small towns. We ran the A/C the whole way with 4 people. I'm pleased with it so far.

Well we just took the Explorer on its first roadtrip. 21.03 MPGs is the best I could muster. 70 miles Interstate and 200 miles backroads through small towns. We ran the A/C the whole way with 4 people. I'm pleased with it so far.

Id be happy with that too

Back