What kind of mileage is your 3rd gen getting? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What kind of mileage is your 3rd gen getting?

Axle codes 42 and D2 are for sport trac models, sorry

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just ran through the first full tank on our new to us 2003. 4.0 V6 with 3.55 open rear. Mixed driving, maybe 60/40 hwy/city, got a solid 19 mpg.

Hope it continues. Not bad considering my wife's PT Cruiser only averages 20-21 most of the time. That thing gets terrible mileage for a 4-cylinder. Summer time with AC running and a lot of stop and go, I've seen it get as low as 14:(. My 2006 F-250 crew-cab long-bed 4x4 diesel work truck loaded at over 9000 lbs gets about 13 in town and 16 or so on the highway.

thanks for bursting my bubble (and explaining a few things) mines a code#46 :mad::(:mad::(:mad::(
im getting about 15 but im only on hwy for trips and such
what models had the 4.10??? specifically D2

It could be worse...you could have 45........like me.....lol

I have a cold air intake and magnaflow cat-back exhaust with stock sized all terrain tires and i get a lousy 13.5 overall mix every single time. I really would like to know how people are getting such high numbers with the 4.0L V6 I'm not being heavy with the pedal and I am at sea level where I live.

I've had my '02 EB 4.0L/auto for about three months. It has about 150,x.. miles on the clock. The day after I bought it, I snow-birded to the west coast (700 mi)

It did 19.7 MPG. (avg speed 75 MPH w/cruise) I have since changed all fluids (t-case, trans, 2 differentials) and stuck a set of new plugs in and still getting about 13 around town and a steady 19+ on the road. I was hoping for better, but it's a strong runner. I'll change the O2 sensors next week, but it looks like it will be a 19 MPG truck.

Art

I wish I got some of the numbers you all get.. I get 10-12 city with 3.55 gears. It's terrible

'05 XLT, 4.0 4X4, Airbox mod, TB mod, DUI Firepower ignition, 3.55 open rear end, averages a constant 18.5 MPG. Mostly highway driving.

Just did a 1000 mile roadtrip. Full payload but not towing, and went up and down probably half a dozen 2000ft passes. Averaged 14-15mpg on the whole trip, 4.6L w/ airbox mod and 3.73 LS, '02 Mounty AWD with 131k on the clock.

Very little difference in mileage with that payload in windy conditions, got about the same mileage cruising 75mph on the windy interstate versus the ascend/descend of the big passes at 65.

average of 15 in the city and 20 highway

I record my mileage on gas receipts. Based on like 200 highway miles a week, my V6 4L gets about 22 MPG.

I have never used E85 in my capable engine because it is still not economical compared to velociraptor oil.

I wish I got some of the numbers you all get.. I get 10-12 city with 3.55 gears. It's terrible
>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Same here on the MPG and gear ratio.

stock 02 XLT 4-door, 192K. 12/17 mpg. changed out plugs/wires once. suspension starting to show its age. gonna do new struts/springs/ball joints in coming weeks. Just redid the brakes/rotors. I hate the freaking rear wheel bearings. they died 2x on me so far, and i'm thinking they are gonna be gone soon...sigh..freaking bearings

03 Explorer 4.6ltr 4x4 3.73 limited slip rear. Only mod is a K&N drop in filter.
Truck has 247k miles and gets 18mph on the highway. No idea what it gets around town.

05 V6 4X4 3.55. I have 104,000+, I can get 20+ without ethanol highway 18 with ethanol. 17/18 around town. 11/12 towing my boat

2002 V6 3.73 ls rear end, I've had no problem getting 22mpg highway navigating the back roads Wisconsin and the UP at 60-70mph, that's with just me in the car.

When I had my Explorer I had an 02 4.6l with 3.73 gears and I would consistently get about 17 around town and I saw as high as 24 on the highway when making trips from NJ to the outer banks.

Just drove from Upper Michigan to Green Bay earlier today, close to 200 miles, my initial calculations are showing 23mpg, i was pretty gentle on the throttle the whole way. I finished my journey with well above half a tank.

04 V6 4X4 3.73LS. I have 85K I can get a solid 12mpg around town...not much highway here in HI. When I lived on the mainland I would average 16.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

05 Explorer XLT Flex

I have an 05 4.0 Flex fuel but I usually run premimum as I get 10% better mileage with it. City 17-18 hwy 20-22 depending on how hilly or windy it is.

Back