What kind of parking sensors are available for the 2017 Explorer Sport? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What kind of parking sensors are available for the 2017 Explorer Sport?

opex

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
LTB 2017 Explorer Sport
Hi there,

I've test driven a 2017 Explorer Sport and was quite happy with the car. My only concern (coming from a sports coupe) is parking a car of this size, especially parallel parking in the city.

Unfortunately I am finding conflicting information about the kind of parking sensors that are available and during my test drive I was not able to get the sensor to work (the sales rep told me that the car hadn't been PDI'd.)

Specifically I am interested to know if there are front parking sensors available which would beep when my bumper gets close to an object (e.g., when swinging the car in when parallel parking, or slowly moving through a condo underground parking garage.) I am not looking for the car to park itself.

Here is my understanding. Please correct me if I'm wrong:

Standard in 2017 Explorer Sport:
Back-up Camera
Rear Parking Sensors (beeps when close to object, in reverse)
Front Parking Sensors (beeps when close to object, in reverse)
Front Parking Sensors (beeps when close to object, in slow forward drive)

Not Available in 2017 Explorer Sport:
360 Camera View

Thanks for any clarification any owners here can provide.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2017 Sport and it has all of the following:

Back-up Camera
Rear Parking Sensors (beeps when close to object, in reverse)
Front Parking Sensors (beeps when close to object, in slow forward drive)
360 Camera View

Front Parking Sensors (beeps when close to object, in reverse)
--Not sure what this exactly is. Is this for if something were to come in front of the Explorer while reversing?

Hi Zodiac,
Thank you for your response.

Regarding your question: this would be front sensor activated when I am in reverse, e.g., parallel parking and swinging the front of the car into the parallel spot.

Thank you

Hi there,

I've test driven a 2017 Explorer Sport and was quite happy with the car. My only concern (coming from a sports coupe) is parking a car of this size, especially parallel parking in the city........
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
The Explorer is only classified as a mid sized SUV.;) Unfortunately Park Assist, both perpendicular and parallel are only available as standard in the Platinum and optional in the Limited. It has never been offered on the Sport trim. Personally I hardly ever use the features because I live in a small town and parking is a breeze. I think you'll find the front sensors very helpful due to the 'view obstructing' front end.

Peter

Thank you Peter. Much appreciated. Glad to hear that there are front sensors.

Parallel parking isn't hard to do but you do need to practice it. I think that even with the assist you need to know what to do and when.

I'd get a couple of plastic garbage cans and go set them up in a parking lot and start to practice parking between them. If you don't actually know how to parallel park then a driving school in your area might be able to help you.

When I test drove my Sport I tried out the front sensors and couldn't get them to come on when driving towards an object - I got a little fearful getting close as it was another new Explorer on the lot! I asked the dealer as I expected it to give me plenty of notice, per the rear sensors, but was told the fronts come on when something comes within 70cm of a sensor. Tested this out and they worked! The front camera makes you feel you are much closer than you are (a good thing) but you soon learn this and in conjunction with the sensors they are a great parking aid!

Good luck with the sport - had mine just a month now and love it!

Back