• Register Today It's free!

What kind of shocks on my Sport

Slush Box

Reaction score
City, State
Panama City, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Mazda Protegé LX
Ok i lowered my truck by pulling the torsion bar bolts out in the front and 2" blocks in the rear. It doesn't ride all that fun but i figure with some new shocks because my stock ones are under some pressure maybe it will ride better. What should i get maybe Edelbrock or Bilstein i was thinking. Give me some ideas maybe these shocks or some other company i want it to ride alot smother thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Bell Techs in my old Ranger rode fairly decent

i have a 95 2 door and i just ordered the Edelbrock shocks for Explorers lowered 1.5". My total was 150 including shipping! Im excited to see how they ride, but im sure a lot better than my orginal factory shocks with 100,000 miles on em. I'm dropped about 2.5" in the front and 2" in the back

well i screwed that up. I only ordered 2 shocks (one front and one back). The way this website worded it was Front 2-4wd Ford Explorer Lowered 1 1/2" - 69.99 I read that as the front two shocks for 69.99 but it means 2wd or 4wd. Man i thought i had some good shocks coming my way! The real price would have been 300 dollars for all the shocks. Back to the drawing board!

Originally posted by nnnick
well i screwed that up. I only ordered 2 shocks (one front and one back). The way this website worded it was Front 2-4wd Ford Explorer Lowered 1 1/2" - 69.99 I read that as the front two shocks for 69.99 but it means 2wd or 4wd. Man i thought i had some good shocks coming my way! The real price would have been 300 dollars for all the shocks. Back to the drawing board!

www.performanceproducts.com is running a decent deal on edelbrock shocks right now. i just bought all 4 (not lowered) for $260 including shipping. they had a 15% off deal, but it might be over by now.

btw, johnny island, you wont like the bilsteins on a lowered truck. i have them on my stock height truck now, and its way bumpy, thats why i ordered the edelbrocks (which, coincidentally were delievered today :) )

yeah it looks liek that deal is over....bummer. I wanna order some DT's because they are super cheap (about 36 bucks per shock custom ordered) but i can measure my shocks. Any tips on how to measure the current shocks? The car has to be sitting ont he ground with all the weight on the wheels and shocks, and then measure the shock top to bottom. Im lowered to far i cant fit under there! I took off that mud guard thing aroudn the wheel but i still could barely find the top of the shock!

Originally posted by nnnick
yeah it looks liek that deal is over....bummer. I wanna order some DT's because they are super cheap (about 36 bucks per shock custom ordered) but i can measure my shocks. Any tips on how to measure the current shocks? The car has to be sitting ont he ground with all the weight on the wheels and shocks, and then measure the shock top to bottom. Im lowered to far i cant fit under there! I took off that mud guard thing aroudn the wheel but i still could barely find the top of the shock!

why not just do some research on the lowered edelbrock shocks? maybe their webpage will give dimensions or something. or maybe you can find someone to measure their shocks (it would be the same size, right?) otherwise, id tell ya to put your truck up on jack stands (i dont know if that will throw off your measurements though.) maybe those "ramp-like" stands? try a local shop with a lift - if you find a nice guy, he may let you throw your truck on there for 2 minutes to measure at the end of the day or something.

edelbrock shocks are made for lowered 1.5. Im lowered closer to 3" in the front than 1.5 (i think it ended up being 2.75"). I want to try to find some ramps or something like that. My other idea is to take off my front wheel, put the chasis on a jackstand, and then jack up the Suspension arm up to the height it would normally be at. That way the shock would be same length as it would when its lowered on the ground.

Back