What kind of wax would you suggest I use? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What kind of wax would you suggest I use?

I'm going to be waxing my car here soon and truth is... I've never used wax on any vehicle I've ever owned. Figured I'd get the Explorer lookin all iced up and nice since I'm going to install the system here soon :D I wanted to know a few opinions on what kind of wax I should get? I want something I can just get from Autozone, or Napa or something. Want my midnight blue 96 to look like the ocean at night time... :eek:

And what is best for interior, and wheel shine?

Thanks in advance -

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i use turtle wax, it does a good job. for the interior i use armor all wipes. For the wheels i cant remember since the last time i sprayed wheel shine was when i was 10.

I would suggest Meguiars Gold Class. Just be careful not to get it on the black trim cause it will leave wax stains that are difficult to get off. Gold class has some cleaning properties and will help hide minor swirl marks in your paint. are If you want a wax that will last a long time, go Meguiars #26 Pure Carnauba Wax. Same thing be careful not to get it on the trim of the car. The #26 has no cleaning properties or swirl hiding capabilities though. Its up to you. As for the inside I'm a fan of Meguiars #40. As for wheels Eagle One A2Z is a good one to clean it, but for shine if you have stock wheels they have a clearcoat on them so just apply wax and it will make them shine.

beavis195 said:
I would suggest Meguiars Gold Class. Just be careful not to get it on the black trim cause it will leave wax stains that are difficult to get off. Gold class has some cleaning properties and will help hide minor swirl marks in your paint. are If you want a wax that will last a long time, go Meguiars #26 Pure Carnauba Wax. Same thing be careful not to get it on the trim of the car. The #26 has no cleaning properties or swirl hiding capabilities though. Its up to you. As for the inside I'm a fan of Meguiars #40. As for wheels Eagle One A2Z is a good one.

you can get this from autozone or napa? never heard of it... then again I never waxed before :D

If you want a really good looking job you might want to give Lazzman on this forum a shout. There's a thread in the Stock 1995-2001 Explorer forum where he has a picture of his ride and the shine on that thing is amazing. He lists the products he uses and even links to go to buy the stuff. I think he does detailing work for a living. The thread is dated 2/3/06 and is titled Acclerations Problems? I'd include a link to that thread but I don't know how to insert one. So if you want it to look professional take a look at that thread.

I know you can get Gold Class and the Eagle One A2Z for sure at like Napa or Autozone. Sometimes they carry the Meguiars Pro line like #26.

Claybar it with Mequirs system. than use mothers calif Gold pure carnuba

You will also be attacked by the zainoists shortly:)

I am a huge fan of Zaino products.
Look here.
door.jpg

It is my drivers door.
The paint is five years old in the photo.

Meguiar's NXT Liquid or paste Tech Wax....as good as it gets for the price.

Very easy to get on and off...with great results.

I second NXT... I used Gold Class for quite awhile and loved it. I bought some NXT a month ago and quickly applied it to my car. It is much shinier and the water beads off of my car like nothing else. Only problem is that this wax doesn't seem to last quite as long. I am definitely going to have to reapply it in another week or so.

spindlecone said:

LOL.

If you guys used Zaino instead of Meguiar's Gold Class or (fill in the blank with all the other suggestions) then your shine would look like Monmix's photo - except it would be six months old instead of you having to reapply it "in another week or so". I used it once per year and could still read my neighbor's 4" high address numbers on his house 80 yds away on the reflection off of my liftgate - after putting 35,000+ miles on my Explorer across nine states that year in conditions ranging from 110+ degrees in Texas heat to subfreezing temps at 13,000 ft in a Colorado winter. One single day in a Texas summer melts the highest quality carneuba wax into optically reflective mush.

A little bit of mineral spirits will take wax off the trim if you get any on it. Personally I use Eagle 1. Pretty Cheap and works fairly well.

Mother's Back to Black works the best on stains on the trim. I have used this stuff for a year now and my trim went from looking faded as hell to being nice and shiny.

I'm an Eagle One "Wet" guy myself. See My Stang-
41822my_car.jpg

Black is the hardest color to keep clean, believe me, I have 2 black vehicles. I put 3 coats on per year. One in spring when I get it out, one about July-August, and one about October, right before I put it away for the winter. It stays pretty.

I bought the mountaineer in late november. We had one warm day in December and I put a coat on it. I washed the winter salt off 2 weekends ago, no wax added, and this is what it looked like.
vbgarage.jpg

Notice the Red Ranger parked across the street about 30' away in the reflection! That is a crappy palm pilot camera taking that pic too!

This stuff works good for me

Zaino.

I don't use it much anymore, as I have no free time. I have a Craftsman rollerbox filled with the stuff. However, I can say that it lives up to the hype.

Bill - duct tape it. :)

spindlecone said:
Yep. That's all I use on all my cars. See my sig for pics :thumbsup:

aldive said:
I too only use Zaino products; never any wax.
what exactly is Zaino - and how much do you pay for the better kinds of wax out there? I hear so many saying: "and it's cheap" like as if wax normally costs 50 bucks or something. I'm thinking about messin with Zaino since so many say they love it. I'm looking for something with a lasting finish where I won't have to keep re-applying it every couple weeks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back