• Register Today It's free!

what kinda rear axel do i have

gabeg420

Reaction score
City, State
pennsauken nj
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 ford explorer eb
hey whats up i im relativly new to this site i have a 92 explorer eddie bouwer i was woundering what rear axel do i have n if there are any cheap upgrades i read the sticker on the door n it says d4 i was woundering if that stood for dana 44 or what :salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

do u know of any mods i can do to it im workin on the lift kit now but i'll have bout 400 left over to play wit so im gonna throw into the rear dif

The only mods you can really do to a differential is gears and a locker. Since you are lifting, I would regear if you get much bigger tires than stock. That would have to be done to both axles, and you probably couldn't do it yourself. That would also cost more than $400 for both. As far as lockers go, search lockers in the search box and you should come up with more info than you can read.

For $60 you can rebuild the clutch packs in the LS. If you replace 1 washer with an additional friction plate you will significantly tighten up the LS to the point it works like it's locked. http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/5ohcpa/cpa5ohtech018.htm

Or you can really lock it with an Aussie Locker or other 'lunch box' type locker, but you'll need to find an open carrier to accommodate the locker.

I did the rebuild and it takes a LOT to overcome the clutches.

Weld the tubes into the housing. The plug welds have been known to break with guys who run bigger/gearing/tires...

It's pretty solid though, probably don't need to worry about that too much.

Back