What maintenance at 80k miles will raise gas mileage? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What maintenance at 80k miles will raise gas mileage?

Ford Explorer9

Reaction score
I finally got my 2006 ford explorer and it's awesome! However according to my fuel average computer the in town mileage is not as high as expected, and I drive with a very light foot. Since I have no idea what has been done to this truck so far I'm going to do some maintenance. So my question is what maintenance is known to increase mpg at 80k miles? Or at least what item might be the culprit for my bad intown mileage? Just for reference I average 11 mpg in town.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not sure how to boost it. I run about the same in the city with the 10' 4wd.

Not sure how to increase mpgs, but I'd change oil/filter, fuel filter, air filter. If it's a V-6, you can easily (compared to the V-8's) check/replace the plugs. I'd probably swap out some of the tranny fluid also. Eventually, I'd also change the differential and transfer case (if a 4wd) oils.

Not sure how to increase mpgs, but I'd change oil/filter, fuel filter, air filter. If it's a V-6, you can easily (compared to the V-8's) check/replace the plugs. I'd probably swap out some of the tranny fluid also. Eventually, I'd also change the differential and transfer case (if a 4wd) oils.

Fuel filter! That's what I forgot to do haha. I think I might get one of those washable k&n air filters too. It's a 2006 Ford Explorer XLT V8 2 wheel drive.

Unless something is seriously out of whack now, nothing's going to gain you a few mpg. A K&N air filter probably won't help, I've done that before and noticed no difference and even the K&N website is careful not to claim you'll get any fuel savings.

I would lift each wheel off the ground and spin it, make sure there's no noise (i.e. a brake pad dragging or bad wheel bearing). Then do some research into a proper tire with low rolling resistance and replace the tires. Though if your tires are good now, you'll never make that money back through reduced fuel use. That only makes sense if it's time to replace tires anyway. Even if you don't replace, inflate to at least 35 psi.

If you're desparate, you can sweat it out and leave the A/C off. That may just net you a couple mpg around town! :burnout:

Good luck!

The short answer is nothing. The gas engines are very consistant with the mpg. Driving habits make the most difference.

yep, I agree with the other posts, nothing you do will really help unless something is seriously wrong now, and in most cases you would get a check engine light. Changing an air filter won't do anything unless the one you have is very seriously almost blocked shut with dirt but then you would have noticed the engine performance suffering. good luck

Back