What Oil do you guys use for your 4.6 v3 ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What Oil do you guys use for your 4.6 v3 ?

mrcube07

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 explorer sport trac
Hey guys I just got this 2007 sport trac with the v8 and I was wondering what type of oil should I use I know the weight is 5w20. I'm just wondering what brand I should put in it. I live in the chicagoland area so its going to get cold soon and I dont want it to knock while start up (even tho it does NOT do it now). the truck has 114000 miles on it so Im kinda of scared to use synthetic in it because it might leak. No matter what I will be using a motorcraft filter.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I bought my 2010 Sport Trac V8 two years ago with 71,000 miles on her. I do all of my own oil changes, and have used Mobil 1 High Mileage 5W-20 oil and K&N's HP-2010 filter for every oil change. I now have almost 108,000 miles on her, and have had no leaks or problems whatsoever. The main reason I use the K&N oil filter is for the 1" nut on the bottom of the filter. It makes removing the filter much, much easier, and in my opinion is worth the slightly extra cost over the Motorcraft filters.

Synthetic oil won't make your truck leak. I'd use any name brand synthetic that was on sale, and be more picky about the filters. I typically use motorcraft, as I have gotten them cheap.

Thanks guys. I found that my local oil change place has mobile 1. Is that ok ? Sorry for all the questions.

Sure, Mobile 1 is good stuff.

mobil 1 all the way IMO. never had a problem, decent price. often on sale.
like a someone else said previously. get a good filter. i use to use FRAM, never had an issue but im switching to either mobil 1 or purple. just to run some comparisons

What are you going to be comparing? Fram filters are typically thought to be total garbage.

What are you going to be comparing? Fram filters are typically thought to be total garbage.

i heard that too, read on a few forums on here that,apparently in the past they had issues but have since fixed ... in terms of filtering capacity and micron size. they are just an average filter for especially for what you pay for.
when i drain my oil i dont find any metal or things that would make me believe the filter is garbage or failing.

like i said testing out the K&N. so i might eat those words.

I don't think you can compare filtration by eye.

Been running Mobil 1 5W-20 and Motorcraft FL-820S since first oil change. Just passed 148k miles. No leaks, no drips, no problems. Knock on wood.

I always use what is listed on the oil filler cap on my vehicles. I use the listed SAE 5W20 (usually Pennzoil Ultra) in my '10 model 4.6L, which has a Roush supercharger upgrade. The Roush people recommended that even with the extra stress I should stay with the factory recommended viscosity. I'd guess that trailering would constitute similar extra stress.

There's a channel on YouTube called Project Farm where a guy test popular products side by side per viewers request. The one he did on motor oils was a real eye opener, (showing Wal-Mart Supertech oil out performing some major brands for example). Personally I use Motorcraft parts and fluids whenever I can assuming they have been engineered by Ford.

0W-20 - 170,000miles and engine looks likes new honestly use the 5w-20 and oil change ever 5K miles, transmission fluid change NOT flush every 70K and keep an eye on the exhaust manifold studs and explorers / ST with 4.6 3v are very reliable

Should calrify i live in Pennsylvania and run 0w-20 innthe winter. And 5w-20 in the summer.

Exhaust manifold and i think sparkplug 5 or 8 are prone to get water dropping on them from the hood and wiper cowl design and the manifolds studs will rust and snap off and make a ticking sounds this is also because the studs are ssuppose to be galvanized and the head is alumnimun.. different expansion rates. Its a common problem for all 02-10 year Triton engines tbh.

Back