• Register Today It's free!

What oil for my 4.0L

Stangfire

Reaction score
City, State
East Selkirk, Manitoba, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Exploer XLT, 4.0L
Hi I have a 2003 explorer 4.0 I recently got. It calls for 5W30 engine oil. Any issues if I use 5W20 instead? Either way it will be synthetic.

I'm only asking because my 2007 focus and 2012 F150 are both 5W20 so would be easier just stocking on type of oil.

I'm in Canada so it can be -30c or +30c. The explorer has about 320,000 kms on it so I wouldn't think it would be a big deal at this point in it's life.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome. No the 4.0 requires 5W -30. The 4.0 was never back spec to 5W-20 like some Ford engines were. Consider all the timing chains this engine has. Do good service intervals. Oil and filter are cheap compared to timing chain jop.

gtx_5qt_5w30.jpg
OR
0017f3dcc0b1eafdfe64bbec4485b162bd.jpg

Note. My pic of the Castrol is old. Castrol's 5W-30 is now a synthetic blend.

I've been using the Castrol GTX 5W-30 with a Motorcraft FL820S filter ever since I got my Explorer. Walmart sells both.

Before they switched it to synthetic blend I was changing it every 3,000 miles. Now I change it every 5,000.

I'm at 238K and my timing chains are fine. I must be doing something right...

I use Mobil-1 5W-30 and Wix XP filters, and change both around every 4K miles.

141K miles, purrs like a kitten.

I’d stick with 5w30. Full synthetic, I see no reason to use a “blend” which can be any ratio conventional:synthetic. For the extra $10 an oil change I’ll run the Mobile 1.

I think it’d be more likely a lack of something, or changing it enough, that the oil doesn’t become acidic.

Motorcraft fl1a filter only just cut one open and see why

Hi I have a 2003 explorer 4.0 I recently got. It calls for 5W30 engine oil. Any issues if I use 5W20 instead? Either way it will be synthetic.

I'm only asking because my 2007 focus and 2012 F150 are both 5W20 so would be easier just stocking on type of oil.

I'm in Canada so it can be -30c or +30c. The explorer has about 320,000 kms on it so I wouldn't think it would be a big deal at this point in it's life.

Thanks.
You shouldn’t have any issues with 5w20.

Remember Strangfire 5w-20 and 5w-30 are the same weight at startup 5W. 5w-30 offers better protection at operating temps. There is a reason Ford did not back spec the 4.0 to 5w-20

Oil weigh and protection are not related. The ONY thing the weight denotes is its viscosity.

The best weight for a stock motor is the oil it was engineered to run in 99% of the cases.

Remember Strangfire 5w-20 and 5w-30 are the same weight at startup 5W. 5w-30 offers better protection at operating temps. There is a reason Ford did not back spec the 4.0 to 5w-30
Think you mean 5w-20 ;)

I like Mobile1 5w20 high mileage. It stopped my valve seal leak as far as I can tell.

I like Mobile1 5w20 high mileage. It stopped my valve seal leak as far as I can tell.
Save yourself some $ at Walmart, Hah, independent Blackstone Laboratories did a comparison analysis and testing of 5W20 Mobil 1 vs Supertech Full Synthetic motor oils. Virtually all the same results, both the same stuff. google and check it out yourself. Lucas Oil Stop Leak will seal a 4.0L valve cover leak temporarily. It worked for me for about 2 years. Then I had to replace the gaskets. Not a fun job On a 2002 Explorer V6.

I won't use the Walmart brand after a few oil changes quite a few years back. I had to replace the oil pump on the car I was using it in.
Granted things change over time but I don't use off brand products. now that I don't have to, especially oil.

That being said, after I posted I did some research on mobile1 oil. It does not rate as high as AMSOIL but is a good medium priced oil.

However, with my research AMSOIL might be my next purchase. Their lower priced oil is same price and is 100% Synthetic. Come to find out "Full Synthetic does not have to mean 100% synthetic. A legal ruling that has muddied the meaning...

The test that concerned me was the 4 Ball Bearing which Mobile1 did not protect very well. Result was a few time more damage than AMSOIL.

Why do you think the Walmart oil ruined the pump?

Don’t get me wrong, I use Mobile1 myself. ;) just curious.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I won't use the Walmart brand after a few oil changes quite a few years back. I had to replace the oil pump on the car I was using it in.
Granted things change over time but I don't use off brand products. now that I don't have to, especially oil.

That being said, after I posted I did some research on mobile1 oil. It does not rate as high as AMSOIL but is a good medium priced oil.

However, with my research AMSOIL might be my next purchase. Their lower priced oil is same price and is 100% Synthetic. Come to find out "Full Synthetic does not have to mean 100% synthetic. A legal ruling that has muddied the meaning...

The test that concerned me was the 4 Ball Bearing which Mobile1 did not protect very well. Result was a few time more damage than AMSOIL.

I’ve been using SuperTech oil in all my family’s cars for many years and many many miles without ever an issue or problem. It is manufactured by a high quality leading oil company. independent labs have proven it to be high quality. I am not a sucker to advertising and manufacture‘s claims but rather research the products I use for the highest quality at a reasonable price that have been independently tested and proven. I change oil between 5-7K miles and mostly use Fram filters. I’ve owned Ferraris, Porsches, turbo Land Rovers, Audi, VWs, Corvettes, Toyotas, Fords, GMs, you name it. A true DIY car guy.

Back