What part is this under the hood?

Drewfus04

Reaction score
City, State
Machias, Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Limited
hood.JPG

If anyone could tell me what this part is called, or even better, the part number to order it, I'd appreciate it tremendously because both of mine are broken under my hood so the hood is down a little bit under the fenders.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hood adjustment bolt?

I think you can get them on the "HELP" board at a good auto parts store. Or from a junkyard, they should be VERY common amongst any number of Ford vehicles.

Hood bumpers OR hood stops.

They don't look broken to me,
Pull the rubber off and grab them with some vice grips and adjust accordingly REMEMBER any significant hood hight adjustment will require hood latch adjustment.
If it is just small adjustments though you will be fine.

That isn't my X, I just was looking at some pics of someone elses and noticed the part I've been forgetting to take pictures of to find out what it's called. Mine both have broken rubber pieces on the tops so they just fell down as far as the top rubber knob. So my hood is sitting 2" lower than it should be. I'd imagine I could pick these up for pretty cheap from a junk yard or from someone on here that has a wrecked X they're parting out.

ANyone selling two of these? I'm sure all year X's would fit.

Mustang, and Tarus also will work, possibly others.
The should be less than lunch money from Ford.

I just replaced mine as well. DS was MIA, PS had overspray on the rubber, and rusted bolt.

I got them from the JY, on my way out I showed the guy behind the counter what I took, he laughed and said 'everyone else just throws those in their pocket or tool box..............(long pause)............are you gonna stand there, or are you gonna put them in your pocket and walk out of here......

I put them in my pocket. And walked out. I could hear the guy behind the counter chuckle as I walked out the door.

Ryan

I ran down to my local bone yard and picked up a couple. The counter guy didn't charge me anything. :) Here is a pic of the adjuster. To remove it you just need to slip a flat blade screwdriver down the left or right side to compress the locking tab and then pry the thing up...
18205Hood_pin_3.jpg

give the threads a good WD-40 bath too

Here's a pic of what my driver's side hood bumper looks like...

MVC-013F.JPG

yup that is broke :D

You aint kiddin.. only how do I get it out of there? Here's what it looks like when it's up all the way.

MVC-014F.JPG

Did my removal instructions not make sense? While holding the adjuster up as far as it will go; Slip a screwdriver down 1 side of adjuster to compress the tab. Then pull up the adjuster sort of at an angle and off it pops.

Maybe you're not seeing the picture... There is no adjuster.. It's a bolt and I can't get it through that tiny little hole.

I know exactly what your talking about.... I'm calling the Rubber Hex shaped part the hood adjuster because it is used to raise/lower the hood by turning it left/right. Anyway the picture I posted is EXACTLY the same thing you have Except the upper plastic rectangle part in my picture has broken off of yours. The adjuster is removed and installed from the top the only thing keeping the thing installed is the locking tabs.

give the threads a good WD-40 bath too

Get the bolt out of the plastic - use a wire brush and some PB Blaster - that stuff is 100 times WD 40.

The adjuster sits down in a square hole with a plastic fitting that has a couple of springed tabs that hold it in place - just release the tabs and the entire unit pops right out of the sheetmetal. It will reinsert right back into the hole.

You do need to set the adjustment height of the hood stops. They are what controls the front edge of the hood height. You want it to be sitting even with the edges of the fenders, and resting on the stops - not on the latch mechanism. While you are in there, grease the latch mechanism with some spray on lithium lube. It works wonders for longevity and ease of use.

Back