• Register Today It's free!

What part item is this?

Rainlord

Reaction score
City, State
Zurich, Switzerland
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 2012 XLT
I've done my very best going through Ford Parts trying to find what part this may be, but I've come up with nothing (for a 2012 Ford Explorer XLT). It's basically the lining/padding underneath the top of the engine that goes across the whole underneath back side.

The material can best be described as some sort of fire proof padding. On my car it's come off on one side and it's more of a "make it pretty" issue for me rather than a functional issue. Here's a picture of item in question:

Zai73E2.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hmm, I don't think that's it as it's not on the hood itself, it's on the back part of the engine compartment at the top (under the windshield wipers etc).

Not the hood insulator (I have changed mine because of martens damage)...
This material you show under the cowl panel is fasted with big clips, and also mine is not really pretty...interested too in items part number...

FORD EXPLORER COWL INSULATOR - FORD (FB5Z-7401588-A)

• List Price:$154.43
  • You Save:$46.94 (30% off)
  • Sale Price:$107.49
genuine-ford.png

lincoln.png
mercury.png

• Manufacturer:Ford
  • Part Number:FB5Z-7401588-A
  • Part:Ford Explorer Cowl Insulator

Just make sure that the above part # is right for your year. It should be the same on all gen5 explorers

No, I don`t think that this part of smooth material with 4 clips coasts more than 100 $...!?!?´
@Rainlord: you mean that kind of insulation marked with the red arrows ? That goes from left to right side, is less than 1 cm thick and about 10 cm high ?
Pics 2 -4 are front right, middle and left aspects...2 parts...

Cowl insulator.jpg

IMG_20170624_191443.jpg

IMG_20170624_191437.jpg

IMG_20170624_191423.jpg

@Daheim111 That's exactly it, your pictures are spot on. I can't imagine it should cost more than $20.. assuming it's even on Ford Parts. I feel like I've looked at every picture and nothing fits..

i went to look at my car and you are right, this not the correct part/insulation
It seems to be part of GB5Z-78021A36-AA ( extension panel) and therefore not sold separately
Beside the 4 push-pins, this insulation seems to be glued on and that will kind of explain/make sense why its not sold separetely

Not glued on / only clips...? Had a "guest" / a marten / it seems to me that this part is only fasted with clips...

But this part on the pictures is only a kind of a silencer / smooth material and fasted with clips...but may be, yes, it is a Ford part (like the cabin fuse box and its location)....

Considering the rubber mat at the bottom of the front cup holder is over $60, this being $150 almost seems like a bargain!

I think it is possible to clip such material from a silencer mat / if you have the old part as a pattern...I will do so / the old mat has loosen its stability and looks not ............

I think it is possible to clip such material from a silencer mat / if you have the old part as a pattern...I will do so / the old mat has loosen its stability and looks not ............
I'm guessing it also may have to be fire proof or have a fire retardant rating.

Peter

Back