what products to use on a white explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

what products to use on a white explorer?

guys, i have a white X, and since i got it, ive always used a clay magic clay bar and then some meguiars wax, but after 3 years, i gotta tell ya, its beginning to be a royal pain in the a$$. i only use the clay bar because my trucks white and if i dont use it, ill never get that really deep dirt off. id like some suggestions on what i could use instead of the clay bar as, i guess for lack of a better term, a 'pre-cleaner', and maybe even different wax. id be willing to try some zaino stuff, but i have no idea which products to use (though, i havent even gone and poked around on their page yet), but i dont want this to turn into an even bigger process - i know zaino makes a ton of products, and the last thing i want is to start having to use 4 or 5 different products every time i wax.

to sum it up, what im looking for is basically a pre-cleaner and a wax (well, not so much a wax) that goes on easy and comes off easy and gets that really deep down dirt off my white paint, and id like to stay away from clay products if at all possible.

thanks all.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

wash the truck with some good car soap.

pre glaze works great and makes the paint feel like butter, it also removes dirt.

meguiars makes a glaze and I use gliptone liquid pre glaze (love it)

after glaze use liquid wax. I use armor plate by armor all rated #3 in Consumers Guide or NUFINISH is good rated #1 in Consumers.

After all of that I would use Meguiars quick detail spray for the grand finally. I have a drk Green ex and it looks almost black, once complete it looks awesome.

I would show you guys pics but I dont know how to get them up here

turtlewax makes a really good white polish. Takes out scratches and deepens the color.

I usually wash my car really good with a power washer & regular car soap, then I polish the whole car with the colored turtlewax polish to deepen the color, and then I put on a coat of liquid glass or mequires car wax to give a nice glossy finish.

By the end of the day my car looks like a mirror, and litereally feels as smooth as glass..

Is the Turle Wax stuff a true polish? i.e. will it remove light oxidation or is it just a colored wax?

My X (also white) seems to get this really light oxidation crap that rubbing compound seems too much grit for. I'd love to find something to get the light oxidation off that will help the color too and this sounds like it could be the ticket.

Thanks,

im pretty sure its a true polish... Id say buy a bottle and try (its only around $8.00)... it might work great, I know it does for me

I'll try it this weekend! Thanks.

The best thing for a white truck is another color paint... just kidding.

Try the magic goodies from Zaino.

Good luck....

What's Zaino's web page? (I'm too lazy to do a search to find it):D

al, which products from zaino do you recommend for a "pre-cleaning" product? i thought i read somewhere on the forums that they make a clay bar, but i really want to avoid that (once again, i havent had a chance to check out their website - midterms are hittin' me hard, heh.)

Originally posted by tbomb
al, which products from zaino do you recommend for a "pre-cleaning" product? i thought i read somewhere on the forums that they make a clay bar, but i really want to avoid that (once again, i havent had a chance to check out their website - midterms are hittin' me hard, heh.)

People speak highly of the clay bar, however, I have never used it. I would use the Z1 followed with Z5 alternating with Z2 always followed and preceded by Z6.

Their stuff really works wonders.

Goos luck.....

It might just be me, but too many Z's to work with, i'd rather just have a car wash precleaner and a wax that i use every time. call me lazy if you will. I'm not really lazy, but too much of a hassle i think. i'll stick with my usual sunday routine detail

One of the real benefits of the Zaino system is its ease of use, I can polish ( with Z2 ) my entire 99 4 door and treat with Z6 in about 15 minutes.

This stuff really works; its not only the best product(s) that I have ever seen, but also its the easiest by far to use.

Its a zazy persons dream come true.

Polishing the truck is not a chore as it was with conventional products but its almost a theorpy in these trying timjes.

Both in 15 minutes?

Originally posted by Yomie
Both in 15 minutes?

Actually the 15 min time is a bit misleading. The 15 min does not include the time for the Z2 to dry. Which here in Florida is about 20 min.

The actual work time is 15 min. That is putting on the Z2, removing it with a cllean and doing the Z6 treatment.

It too easy to believe....

so you do the 1 and 5 whenever you wish then every once in a while throw on some 2. then the 6 is a 'enhancer'?

Originally posted by Yomie
so you do the 1 and 5 whenever you wish then every once in a while throw on some 2. then the 6 is a 'enhancer'?

Sorry, but i have no clue what you said???????

al, do you do it by hand or with an orbital buffer?...waxing your truck, that is :)

Originally posted by tbomb
al, do you do it by hand or with an orbital buffer?...s :)

Don't you think that is his business? lol j/k man

What i was trying to ask was when do you do each one, Z1, Z2, Z5, Z6

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm ambidextrous!! At applying polish, you know:

"Wax on, wax off" :nono:

Al, do Explorers have clear coats? I'm assuming no since you said you use Z-2 and Z-5 but thought I'd check.

Back