what products to use on a white explorer? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

what products to use on a white explorer?

guys, i have a white X, and since i got it, ive always used a clay magic clay bar and then some meguiars wax, but after 3 years, i gotta tell ya, its beginning to be a royal pain in the a$$. i only use the clay bar because my trucks white and if i dont use it, ill never get that really deep dirt off. id like some suggestions on what i could use instead of the clay bar as, i guess for lack of a better term, a 'pre-cleaner', and maybe even different wax. id be willing to try some zaino stuff, but i have no idea which products to use (though, i havent even gone and poked around on their page yet), but i dont want this to turn into an even bigger process - i know zaino makes a ton of products, and the last thing i want is to start having to use 4 or 5 different products every time i wax.

to sum it up, what im looking for is basically a pre-cleaner and a wax (well, not so much a wax) that goes on easy and comes off easy and gets that really deep down dirt off my white paint, and id like to stay away from clay products if at all possible.

thanks all.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

BTW, wouldn't an orbital buffer hurt?

The paint finish that is?!? LMAO

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by tbomb
al, do you do it by hand or with an orbital buffer?...waxing your truck, that is :)

I am stickly hand manl never tried a buffer, its simply too easy by hand.

Originally posted by Yomie
What i was trying to ask was when do you do each one, Z1, Z2, Z5, Z6

You statr the first time and after ever ten coats of Z2, with the Z1.; you can alternate the Z5 with Z2 applications ( I only use Z2 ) and spray on and wipe off the Z6 ( I use Z6 before AND after every Z2 treatment.

Originally posted by YetiX
Al, do Explorers have clear coats? I'm assuming no since you said you use Z-2 and Z-5 but thought I'd check.

I know all late models are clear coated; I simply don't know about the earlier ones, but i assume they are.

Someone with an early truck please respond to this question.

yes, the first gen. explorers DO have clear coat - at least my 91 did, heh.

also, i think tonite im gonna poke around the zaino website and pick some products :) ill let you guys know what i decide on.

yetix, you asked earlier, whast the zaino wesite, right? its www.zainobros.com

Yes, the early Explorers all have clearcoats. Z2 and Z5 are for clearcoated cars, Z3 is for non-clearcoated cars.

peace

Mike

well, i just took a look at the zaino website, and i think im gonna order some z1, z2, and z6. i already have a clay magic clay bar, so ill just use that before i use any zaino products. the only thing that sucks is that you cant use it in cold weather (so they say.) i was planning on waxing my truck over winter break - at home (around philly) itll probably be in the 20s-30s (lower if its real cold.) anyone have any experience using zaino stuff in the real cold?

also, question on z5 scratch remover - i have a friend who just got a brand new custom made carbon fiber hood. when he opened up the crate, there were some small scratches from the packing material...will the z5 work on this?

thanks.

Originally posted by tbomb
also, question on z5 scratch remover - i have a friend who just got a brand new custom made carbon fiber hood. when he opened up the crate, there were some small scratches from the packing material...will the z5 work on this?thanks.

Your best bet would be to e mail or call Sal at Zaino and ask him.

Also ask him about your cold weather situation.

Good luck...

Back