What rear end do i have in my Explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What rear end do i have in my Explorer?

Post number 2 has been selected as best answered.

Spartan

Reaction score
City, State
Sun Prairie WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT, 5.0 2WD
1996 Explorer XLT, RWD, and the 5.0 motor. Automatic transmission.

My Axle code is D4, which I know to be a 3.73 limited slip. I have to replace an axle shaft bearing and seal, as well as the pinion seal and likely the outer bearing. I'm trying to order parts, but don't want to run into the situation where I order the wrong seals/bearings.

Do i have a 31 spline or 28 spline axle?

If you guys have any part numbers that might be applicable to that rear end and Explorer, please let me know.

Afaik all 2nd gens have 31 spline.
1997 FORD EXPLORER 5.0L V8 Drivetrain Parts | RockAuto

edit (from rangerstation):

Ford Ranger 8.8-Inch Axle versus Ford Explorer 8.8-Inch Axle

All 8.8-Inch Ford Explorer axles use 31-spline axle shafts. All 8.8-Inch Ford Ranger axles use 28-spline axle shafts (except FX4 and FX4 Level II which use 31-splines).​

The Ford Ranger 28-spline 8.8-Inch axle tube is 3.00 inches in diameter.​

The Ford Ranger 31-spline 8.8-Inch axle tube is 3.25 inches in diameter.​

The Ford Explorer 31-spline 8.8-Inch axle tube is 3.25 inches in diameter.​

Increasing from a 28-spline to a 31-spline axle allegedly increases strength of the axle shaft by 34%, however I'll go by the capacity ratings of the axle assemblies provided by the manufacturer. Ford Rates the Ranger axle at 2750lbs and the Explorer axle at 3200lbs this is a 16% increase in strength, which admittedly may be as conservative as the estimate of axle strength. The Important thing about the Explorer axle assembly (besides its 31-spline shafts) is that its axles are larger in diameter at the outer bearing journal AND the larger diameter bearings used.​

Bearing Example:

2000 Ford Ranger 8.8-Inch 28-spline axle bearing ID= 1.399", OD= 2.2948" (1563 series bearing)​

1999 Ford Explorer 8.8-Inch 31-spline axle bearing ID= 1.1618", OD= 2.5333" (1559 series bearing)​

EVERYTHING in the Ranger 8.8 and Explorer 8.8 is the same size (carrier bearings, pinion bearings/seals, ring gear, pinion, pinion nut, ring gear bolts, top and bottom spider gears) EXCEPT the side spider gears (the Ranger one has 28-splines and the Explorer has 31-splines), and the cross pin.

Awesome, this is exactly the information i needed! Thanks!

Back