What repairs have you done to your 3rd gen so far? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What repairs have you done to your 3rd gen so far?

shadowless127

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 EB AWD 5.0
Inspired by my trip to the dealer so my new to me Mountaineer could be serviced after less then 3K miles, what are some repairs/service you guys have had done on your 3rd gen. I bought my Mountaineer with 57196 on the clock.

@ 60K Trans servo replaced due to hesitation and/or hard shifts to and from 3rd gear
@ 60K Ring and Pinion service kit due to the dreaded rear end whine
@ 60K New grid for Driver Heated Seat

not sure what else the dealer has done, will find out tomorrow.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well I have had my ex for a little over a year now.
So far I have replace the rotors and brake pads.
I got a new rear applique panle because mine cracked.
I had the whole motor gone over. I have this stupid ticking sound coming from my engine someplace. I had the dealer go over the whole motor, replaced tons of stuff, valves, rockers, and many other things to see if they could get the ticking to go away. But nada, so im stuck with that stupid ticking sound.

Rebuilt trans at 79000, rear diff seal, rear wheel bearing,new instrument cluster. Now at 86000. Let hope its all good...

Bought my '02 EB 4.6L V8 new. Problems started within the first week and seem to never end at it's now current mileage of 139K.

1. Tranny clunking, improper shifting with less than 250 miles on it. Low ATF fluid level from the factory on the fabulous sealed system. Dealer added fluid and problem ceased.

2. All bells and whistles such as power door locks, auto headlamps, auto seat & etc. failed. Dealer had to reprogram the GEM module at less than 500 miles on it. Twice before 1K miles.

3. "Zinging" noise from rear end like it had huge off-road tires on it turned out to be rear wheel bearings replaced under warranty at 80K.

4. Tranny shifting odd, required new solenoid and something else minor I can't recall, which fixed it under warranty.
4A. Replaced 4WD module during same visit under warranty. Problem #5 started within 1 week of this.

5. 4WD kicking in on any sort of grade or whenever power was required. Took dealer forever to even diagnose it, had to change out ATF in front transfer case, didn't help. I had to buy the ATF and the labor N/C. What service (not!). I found out on my own that difference in tire treadwear of less than even 1/16" between front & back tires confuses wheel speed sensors into thinking wheel spin and dealer mechanic never caught this. Probably damaged transfer case clutch packs sorting this month long misadventure out but dealer won't fix as per Ford even though was under warranty when problem was reported but it ran out before they figured it out. Bast*rds!

6. All bells & whistles out again, suspect GEM Module but dealer wants $100 to diagnose it and $200+ to reprogram it and alot more if replacement is indicated.

7. Liftgate panel crack, dealer won't replace it under warranty as it's not drivetrain-related, $200 for panel + paint. Crack spreading more as time goes by. Double Bast*ards!!

8. Heavy vibration starting in front end when starting out or going slow if wheel is turned even slightly off-center. Vibrations start up again all over at 60 mph quite differently in steering wheel, afraid to go much faster. Opinions seem to center around clutch packs in front transfer case or the u-joints in the half-shafts to the front wheels. A huge bummer in any event. This is related to issue #5.

9. Engine developing a spastic loud chugging sound for a time when at idle with mild RPM fluctuation and then it smooths out whether in gear or not. If you wait very long, it will return guaranteeing people turning to see where the crazy steam engine is.

10. A recall or two over liftgate hinges and something else minor I can't remember.

11. Several set of front disc pads and two sets of rear disc pads along with two front rotors. Unlike Mopar, Toyota, M-B and many others, the pads from the factory didn't have the metal squealer tab to let you know when they're about to go out and then when you hear that grind, your rotor is DOA. A fifty cents addition to the brake pad design could easily save the average driver hundreds of dollars in rotor replacements.

Aren't these enough? I never abuse it and still it lays it to me. The fact that I paid over $34K from a $38K sticker and now they typically trade for $3k with a couple of area dealers refusing to take them on trade burns me up. My son has a '00 Toyota 4Runner Limited with 150K miles on it and they're going for over $10K around here and folks don't want to sell because they're so tough and reliable.

I've grown to like my Explorer XLT 2WD, although I wish it was v8 and 4WD. At 92K miles had the transmission replaced, rear end differential rebuilt, and both rear wheel bearings replaced. Now at 129K, she feels fine; changing mobil one synthetic oil every 5K miles, fuel filter and pvc valve every 15K.
the truck was originally my wife's (then fiancee), now that I'm driving it, the truck gets top choice parts on repairs and maintenance.
She's smooth running at this time and wondering if I should keep her or trade her before she quits on us. thinking 4Runner???? hmm.

Repairs

Rear diff clutch pack because of limited slip axle and wheel bearings so far. About $2K in "non-routine" maintenance durring the 66K in about 5 years. Biggest issue I have is the trade in value. We bought this new for wife in 9/03 for about $25K, and the current trade value I was offered at three different Ford dealers was $2500. 90% deprecation is terrible! I have been pretty happy with the Ex, and I'm getting 21-22 MPG (all highway) so no complaint there. I just miss my F-150, and was thinking about getting a new one with the employee pricing deal and rebates. However, for $2500. I'll drive the Ex into the ground.

I bought mine with 82k miles and now it has 125k. Repairs & Maintenance so far:

Replaced both rear wheel bearings -$700
Replaced all four brake pads and one rotor (pads are maintenance not repairs) - $400
Replaced the ignition switch -$100
Replaced three wheel studs (due to faulty work at Tuffy's) - free Tuffy paid
New Tires (not a repair either) $350
New Battery (maintenance as well) $50
Transmission fluid and filter change along with diffs and transfer case regular oil changes (maintenance) - various costs

I have been pretty happy with it. If not for the wheel bearings I would have very little money in actual repairs.

I have an 02 XLT bought with 92,000 on it two years ago. I have replaced:
two wheel bearings, LF/RR.
Servo unit for the CC.
The actuator door for the rear AC.

Also new battery, tires, and tranny fluid change and filter.

At 92K miles on my 2002 4x4 Limited so far:

1. Regular oil/filter changes every 3000 miles. That'd be about 30 changes so far.
2. On my third air filter.
3. Changed the fuel filter once.
4. A new set of tires and alignment.
5. New brake pads all around and flush the master cylinder.
6. New rotors...just for the hell of it because they look purty.
7. New larger wheels...again, 'cause they look purty.
8. New battery.
9. Change PCV assembly including PCV because of deteriorated rubber fittings causing a vacuum problem and thus rough idle.
10. Rear storage latch replaced on the storage area closest to the rear seats. Plastic handle broke because I pulled on it funny.

You could say that everything except the last item was routine maintenance although #9 was a PITA because of the poor design of the rubber fittings and could be catagorized as a repair.

Knock on wood...I've have a much easier time than most of you. My X is probably going to self implode the next time a drive it because of my last statement. ;-(

I've got an 03 with 51k on it.

So far outside of normal maintenance (tires, fluids, filters, no brakes yet) I've only had the upper ball joints replaced. Other than that things have been fine. *knock on wood*

At 92K miles on my 2002 4x4 Limited so far:

1. Regular oil/filter changes every 3000 miles. That'd be about 30 changes so far.
2. On my third air filter.
3. Changed the fuel filter once.
4. A new set of tires and alignment.
5. New brake pads all around and flush the master cylinder.
6. New rotors...just for the hell of it because they look purty.
7. New larger wheels...again, 'cause they look purty.
8. New battery.
9. Change PCV assembly including PCV because of deteriorated rubber fittings causing a vacuum problem and thus rough idle.
10. Rear storage latch replaced on the storage area closest to the rear seats. Plastic handle broke because I pulled on it funny.

You could say that everything except the last item was routine maintenance although #9 was a PITA because of the poor design of the rubber fittings and could be catagorized as a repair.

Knock on wood...I've have a much easier time than most of you. My X is probably going to self implode the next time a drive it because of my last statement. ;-(

Except for my wheel bearings mine has been solid. Keep an eye or maybe I should say and ear on yours.

i have an 03 x with 112540mi. so far i replaced the alternator and battery at 60000, got the brakes done (all of them including rotors and pads at 43000 and 100000) other than that my x has been pretty good to me. i also replaced the tires at around 47000. i got oil changes every 5000. im going to replace the sparks plugs, serpentine belt, fuel filter pretty soon. im surprised she has kept going on after 100000 with non of the tune up stuff done.

My 2002 Explorer Sport has 180,000 km on it and it has been great to me. I had the power steering rack replaced but it turned out they replaced it for no reason as it was just a leaky fitting. Had the front right wheel bering repaced, and that is it. Had it almost since new. I change the oil regularily and drive the crap out of it. I am very happy with it and wouldn't hesitate to buy another if gas prices were not so high.

Tommaso

I have a 2004 XLT 4wd it now has 90000 miles on it and just did my first non maintenance repairs. Just today replaced both front wheel bearings. Last week had 4 new tires put on. It has been good to me.

Replaced Front Diff @ 120k
3 wheel bearings between 110k and 140k
JB welded my transfer case due to small crack near drain plug
New Radiator @ 140k
Rebuilt Trans @ 145k

Now has 150k and the ABS light just came on so I'll have to figure out what that is tomorrow.

05 with 30k runs great absolutely nothing wrong at all..I have 4 more years to use my ford ESP warr..bring it on.

My 02 has 81k on it. The Extended Service Plan ends in 2 weeks . So far I've replaced:

All 4 rotors,due to inferior quality steel , which caused them to pit deeply,and warp.Not covered. 4shocks not covered(only struts are covered). E-brake hardware not covered.

LR wheel bearing.LR toe link,rear differential rebuilt (infamous howling noise) a sensor on the trans, LF speaker.seals on rear diff twice(this time they forgot to add the friction additive for the limited slip axle), front diff, and transfer case seals twice, A/C mixer door & actuator. rear hatch struts upper and lower. All covered by ESP.

I also replaced normal wear items , battery after 6 years ,still load tested good (piece of mind). Spark plugs @ 80k miles.(that job made me nervous) ,fuel filter twice. Brakes all the way around twice( the park brake from hell). K&N air filter. LF fog light bulb 3 times?? No other bulbs...

All 4 tires last month . BFG rugged trails lasted almost 6 years and 80k. Tires dry rotted and cracked 3 years old dealer wouldn't budge. I emailed BFG and they told me as long as there was servicable tread I could take it to any dealer and they would give me credit for them. Believe it or not Discount Tire gave me $34 credit for each tire that was dry rotted . These were original tires and almost 6 years old. I bought the Michellen cross trail . Truck rides like new.
I've been desperately searching for the timer /relay that is programmed to detonate the moment the ESP plan expires. Hope this helps.

02' bought brand new.

Just the transfer case module and one wheel bearing. Less than $300 in repairs. Has about 60k miles, about 15k of those are pushing some decent power. No lemon here, knock on wood.

05 with 30k runs great absolutely nothing wrong at all..I have 4 more years to use my ford ESP warr..bring it on.

I put rotors on it. I forgot plus I consider it normal maint...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2 radiators(cheap chinese radiators) both split on seams.

thats it.

Back