What sensor would tell ECM to not allow spark? | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What sensor would tell ECM to not allow spark?

These will run just fine without the CPS. It’s not needed to spark, or fire the injectors.
Ok my bad i just seen it in another thread as a possibility

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I ran for about 10k without a CPS installed. Started and drove fine.

If I’m not mistaken the CPS fine tunes the injector timing? If it’s not there, or out of range it just runs off a precanned table.

This whole mess screams broken wire in the crankshaft position sensor harness just my opinion
It will test fine with a meter but any sort of load or vibration will make the signal intermittent

So this is something that got worse with both heat and time

Agree with @donalds

Was the ignition coil changed - didn't have time to read all the way back. There are 2 coils, horizontal and vertical harness exit.
My 95 & 96 4.0 OHV's take the horizontal. I found the vertical wire connector won't work by accidentally ordering the wrong one a while back. I did find out that you can re-pin the term's in a pinch.
-Dan

This whole mess screams broken wire in the crankshaft position sensor harness just my opinion
It will test fine with a meter but any sort of load or vibration will make the signal intermittent
I agree

Was the ignition coil changed - didn't have time to read all the way back. There are 2 coils, horizontal and vertical harness exit.
My 95 & 96 4.0 OHV's take the horizontal. I found the vertical wire connector won't work by accidentally ordering the wrong one a while back. I did find out that you can re-pin the term's in a pinch.
-Dan
Everything trivial has been changed.

I'm going with Donald's theory. Let me know what you guys think of this idea. If I take the cover off the computer's harness and put two pins in where the wires for the CKP goes, then run a new set of wire directly from the CKP, would that work?

Grab a computer harness out of a junk yard. It would allow you to cut it up, power the ecm up outside the vehicle wiring, you could connect sensors one at a time, etc.

Grab a computer harness out of a junk yard. It would allow you to cut it up, power the ecm up outside the vehicle wiring, you could connect sensors one at a time, etc.
Thats the best idea

The problem would have originated with the coil change, and not been an existing problem that a coil replacement had no effect on.

I can confirm loss of cam signal will shut down an OBD ll (Jeep). I believe it only times the injectors though, and not spark. Loss of signal will definitely set a code.

What is so exasperating is there's no code.

In the first posts, I remember it starting a couple times; shutting down when it warmed, and then no grounding to the 3 coils but 12v to the coil power wire.

I know you've already checked them, but I keep thinking of relays, specifically the ASD relay...

I can confirm loss of cam signal will shut down an OBD ll (Jeep). I believe it only times the injectors though, and not spark. Loss of signal will definitely set a code.

What is so exasperating is there's no code.
This isn’t a Heep. These will absolutely run with the CPS completely out of the system. It will definitely set a code.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This isn’t a Heep. These will absolutely run with the CPS completely out of the system. It will definitely set a code.
Oops, I missed your earlier post on driving without a working cam sensor. We can rule that out then.

Back