What shops will do a timing cassette replacement on 4.0 SOHC? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What shops will do a timing cassette replacement on 4.0 SOHC?

stick_witch

Reaction score
City, State
Homer, AK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Explorer XLT 4.0
Hey! Wondering it anybody knows of a good shop that will replace the timing cassettes on a 4.0 sohc in the Northwest; Washington, Oregon, Montana area?

Mine is due for it soon and I just got done swapping in a rebuilt 5r55s ( yes i know, i should have pulled the motor too and just done it. Not enough time or money though at the time.)

I would do it myself, but I just don’t have it in me right now to go digging into the car again and would rather have someone more experienced with the right resources at their disposal do it.

Any recommendations and/or testimonials would be super helpful! Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am afraid there are very few shops who would attempt that. Most of the shop owners prefer the motor swap rather than doing the timing job.
Unless you find someone like Brian from BASE (Fordmakuloco) I would have a hard time trusting anybody doing that job right.

you would need to pull the trans or engine, its a mood point. Drive it till it blows up and replace the block.

you would need to pull the trans or engine, its a mood point. Drive it till it blows up and replace the block.
Yes… but who would do that kind of work is what im asking? I’d rather not blow it up, it is my only vehicle… Also where can I get a new block? Does anybody still sell or do reman short or long block 4.0 sohc engines? Or is pretty much all DIY these days? Would a Ford dealer still do it?

Back