What should I do about my bass shortage???? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What should I do about my bass shortage????

Kial

Reaction score
I just blew my stock 6.5 sub (i have a 91 explorer with the JBL sys.) and I I have a couple choices now because I have like 200 bux. to send on my system or whats left of it. I already have a clarion face cd play which is cool, but now I want my bass back!

I know I can modify the 6.5 compartment for a 8" sub should I do that or go another route like a bass tube that is already amped? I need to get max. bass for my buck. Need some suggestions please! thanks Dead Link Removed

~Kial
zeke180@yahoo.com

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, if you have a friend that will do something stupid like a friend of mine did then all you gotta get is some hella 500's and trade them for a 500x4 amp and a 10" sub. Yeah right!! I can't beleive he did that, but anyways about your question. I have heard that the bass tube thingys aren't all that great, but haven't actually heard one of them. You could always get a fairly cheap 2-channel amp say like a 200x2, then bridge it and get an 8" sub and put it in the box in the back of your explorer and it will sound much better than the stock thing.

You'll pay more if you try to replace the stock woofer. Which if you do, go with a 10.

What I would suggest is looking for a small package deal where you can maybe get a 10 or a 12 with a box and an amp(or you could make the box yourself). I have a kicker 12 and it puts out more bass than you would believe! In fact, in order to be able to hear the words in a song I have to keep the bass at -1 of 6.

Mat

------------------
1992 Ford Explorer XLT
Interested in trucks..?
Me too. Check out my web page.
MatnChad.com
www.matnchad.com

You could buy my subs and amp. They are 2 12in Kicker subs run by a 75x4 bridged to 2 channel amp. This includes the box. I am asking $350 o.b.o.

------------------
Ryan Kelso
Cowboyz1659@hotmail.com
93 Explorer Sport 4x4
K&N Drop In
ProComp Pro Runner Light Bar
Stull Billet Grille
Hella 500's
Blue Opta Fogs
Kenwood and Kicker Stereo

[This message has been edited by 4Wheelin (edited 05-22-2000).]

Kial i replaced my sub with a 6.5" Kicker comp. for like 75 bux and its sounds plenty good . i mena i wont win a competition but it sounds 10 times better than stock. then you can use the rest of your money for new door speakers like the Infinity kapas for 150 a pair in crutchfield. just my .02
Later

------------------
1991 Eddie Bauer 4x4
K&N drop in filter, Modified air box.
3" lift 31x10.50's
Dunlop R/V's.
Sway bar quick disconects disc.http://www.freeyellow.com/members8/91fordexplorer/index.html

I think im going to try the 6inch kicker sub. thanks for the suggestion, also ryan i mailed u but i dont know if you have gotten back to me yet, thanks. Latez

~kial
zeke180@yahoo.com

Well, you don't want to go the route of a bass tube. I have heard the 6.5" driver and the 8" driver both with an internal amp. Horrible. I would either go with the Kicker 6.5" to replace it, or look through the paper at the deals for car audio. I know Circut City near me is always running deals where if you buy and amp you get a sub free. The subs aren't that bad either. I got at MTX2100 280 Watt amp for $250 on sale and got the 400 Watt Pioneer 12 for free. It will take my friends 2 10" JBL in a bandpass anyday. It's nothing extreem, but it suits my needs.

Good luck,
Chris

------------------
'91 Explorer 2dr

Back