What should I do/check while I can | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What should I do/check while I can

Brian1

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Albuquerque, NM
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT
Callsign
KG5BAQ
This comming Sunday I will have acess to my friend's professional auto shop. We will be able to use the car lift and possibly the computer. The explorer runs good now. I think I will flush the radiator. The oil does not need changing yet or else I would do that too. Anything else I should do while I have the lift and access to his shop? Any suggestions are appreciated.

------------------
Brian
91 XLT 4x4

If your tires need to be rotated and balanced,this would be a good time to do it. It would be easy while you have it up on the lift. Also, while you have it up there with the wheels off, it would be a great time to check out your brakes. Mainly I would want to take advantage of the computer or anything like that, which you can't do at home.

------------------
If everybody is different, how can anyone be normal?

91 Explorer XLT
4.0L OHV V6

Grease and inspect the front wheel bearings. Clean and lubricate the caliper slide pins while inspecting the brakes as Dignan mentioned.

------------------
Rick Horwitz
Editor
explorer@4x4central.com
www.4x4central.com

Some quick thoughts:
- Carefully inspect the underside with a good light: your looking for dings, unusual stains, build-up of dirt, rust or corrosion, kinked, cracked or damaged fuel and hydraulic brake lines, things like that.

Then specifically:
- Check that the cat heat shield is tight and in good shape.
- Check the exhaust system; pay attention to the hangers and isolators.
- Check the fluid levels in the differencials.
- If its time, this is an opportunity to change the transmission oil and filter (if so equipped).
- Check the wiring at the 4x4 servo on the transfer case.
- Check and lube the emergency brake cable.
- Check the spacers at the outer ends of the leaf springs.
- Closely inspect the fuel tank for fit and loose shields (if so equipped); inspect the fuel filler line.

Good Luck and have fun.

Back