• Register Today It's free!

What should i do???

brotherx

Reaction score
City, State
Raleigh, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Explorer Expedition
Ok guys, I have a 1995 Explorer sport 4x4. I wanted to start a thread with a list of all the upgrades i want to do and then update each time i get a little money saved up to get some opinions on what i should do next, or maybe something i didnt think of. That way i can have some opinions on what upgrades had the most impact on the people who have done them and ill know if i want to say, save up another couple of weeks, or go ahead and get something else for less money.

Okay lets start the list. Ill have the prices of everything im looking at on here to, or at least the cheapest i can find on a google search.

Tow Hook- $9
Chassis Saver(to cover some rust)- #34.75
Tow Cable- $30
Hayes Repair Manual- $25
Sylvania Silverstars(headlamps)- $40
Sylvania Silverstars(fogs)- $40
Hid light kit- $270-$300
Warrior 153 shackles- $50
Torsion Twist- $0!!! :D
Reverse Glow Gauge- $15
Flowmaster Original 40 series- $92
New piping for exhaust- ?$30-$40?
K&N Intake system- $272
Good mudding tires- $500-$800
Floor mats- $20-30 atleast
Seat covers- $80-$100
Rearview Mirror kit(to get it to stop shaking)- $6
Slip Yoke grease- ?$10-$15?
Cheap 100w Fog lights- ?$40 a pair i think?

What could i use other than chassis Saver to put over some rust.. It seems a little pricey!

Do you guys think i should buy Silverstars first, or go ahead and save up for the hid kit?

Im still on the fence as to whether i should use a y pipe to make it into a dual exhaust. What do you guys think? I believe im going to use 3" pipes, but if i need to use 2.5" to keep more back pressure if i use a y pipe then i dont mind.

I dont know what tires to get, I really want BFG Mud Terrains, but they are really pricey. I saw Bridgestone Dueler All-Terrains online and they got alot of great reviews, but they dont have a very agressive tread pattern, so i have my doubts. Has anyone ever tried them, or does anyone have a suggestion for affordable mud style tires, even all-terrains.

And keep in mind that all i have is a small tool box with some basic tools, so anything big might take some money to get the tools too. The tt/shackle install is easy so i wanted to do that, but im not sure it'll look all right with only 30" tires.

I have around $120 at the most right now.. The problem is i have to convince my mom to let me use the money instead of giving it to her.. hahaha

Thanks guys!:salute:

Ok guys, I have a 1995 Explorer sport 4x4. I wanted to start a thread with a list of all the upgrades i want to do and then update each time i get a little money saved up to get some opinions on what i should do next, or maybe something i didnt think of. That way i can have some opinions on what upgrades had the most impact on the people who have done them and ill know if i want to say, save up another couple of weeks, or go ahead and get something else for less money.

Okay lets start the list. Ill have the prices of everything im looking at on here to, or at least the cheapest i can find on a google search.

Tow Hook- $9
Chassis Saver(to cover some rust)- #34.75
Tow Cable- $30
Hayes Repair Manual- $25
Sylvania Silverstars(headlamps)- $40
Sylvania Silverstars(fogs)- $40
Hid light kit- $270-$300
Warrior 153 shackles- $50
Torsion Twist- $0!!! :D
Reverse Glow Gauge- $15
K&N Intake system- $272
Seat covers- $80-$100
Rearview Mirror kit(to get it to stop shaking)- $6

Tow Hook- A lot more involved to bolt on than you would think
Chassis Saver(to cover some rust)- Depends on where the rust is.
Tow Cable- Good item to have, just be sure to get the proper strap, no cable or chain
Hayes Repair Manual- First thing you should buy
Sylvania Silverstars(headlamps)- good choice, but there are other bulbs out there
Sylvania Silverstars(fogs)- same as above
Hid light kit- Usually illegal and light pattern isn't always great, but there are kits out there for less than $100 check DDMtuning.com
Warrior 153 shackles- Good shackles, but can get some from autozone for less and they hold up just fine
Torsion Twist- make sure you read up on it and don't forget the alignment
Reverse Glow Gauge- Never did this, its personal preference if you like it or not
Flowmaster Original 40 series- There are other mufflers that sound just as good for much cheaper and flow better
New piping for exhaust- cost depends on the shop, single 2.5" pipe is perfect
K&N Intake system- Again, other choices, especially if on a budget, check ebay
Good mudding tires- Do you really need mud tires? How often do you plan to hit the trail? There are good AT tires that work well for the seldom off road trip
Floor mats- Depends on where you buy them and the quality
Seat covers- same as above, I usually just rocked the $20 covers til they wore out
Rearview Mirror kit(to get it to stop shaking)- easy fix
Slip Yoke grease- just grab some grease and slap it on, can get a tube for less than $5
Cheap 100w Fog lights- Stick with decent 55 watt lights, they last longer, and the bulbs are easier to find and cheaper

Dan

Hid light kit- $270-$300
Reverse Glow Gauge- $15

Bling plus noise does not equal off road performance.

Pro Comp has buy 3 tires get 1 free right now. You should also get new wheels depending on how wide you want to go.

Unless you don't have any right now, just flip your carpeted ones over and bam, free rubber floor mats.

Seat covers- $80-$100

For what? Waste of money.

Where did that come from? General maintenance shouldn't be an option. Keep your oil fresh and everything greased, then see how much money you have after that. A lifted monster truck explorer is no good if it's broken.

Do you really plan on wheeling at night?

Im still on the fence as to whether i should use a y pipe to make it into a dual exhaust. What do you guys think? I believe im going to use 3" pipes, but if i need to use 2.5" to keep more back pressure if i use a y pipe then i dont mind.

Again, you are throwing your money away with duals.

And keep in mind that all i have is a small tool box with some basic tools, so anything big might take some money to get the tools too. The tt/shackle install is easy so i wanted to do that, but im not sure it'll look all right with only 30" tires.

I have around $120 at the most right now.. The problem is i have to convince my mom to let me use the money instead of giving it to her.. hahaha

Do you have a job? Is this your only vehicle? Unforeseen problems will cost more money and leave you without a vehicle.

Back