What should I expect to pay to replace front wheel bearing? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What should I expect to pay to replace front wheel bearing?

Its super easy, if you can pull your wheel off, your half way there. Just doubl check your bolts tourqe everything, and take some pride in a job well done

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do I need any of the other things listed on this page as well?

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiB...D|~6+Cylinders+245+E+4.0L+EFI+SOHC|~006|~0450

Looks like I'm going to have someone to do it eventually. My friend took my cell phone number this morning and said her husband is going to call me tonight to talk about it. And the friend that brought me to school is going to call her husband's friend that does all their repairs and see if he'll do if for me. If both of those fall through her friend's father owns a garage so she said he'd definitely give a discount on the labog if it came to that.

U need socket for wheel lugs, 15mm(?) wrench for the brake caliper, 8mm socket for dust sheild, and 15mm wrench for hub. 23mm(?) socket for wheel hub nut.

If your explorer is exposed to salt, you will need a torch set. (dont ask me how I know)

New bearing is 160$ at autozone.

Here's the tools I used:

short 15mm socket + 3/8 breaker bar to remove the 15mm hub bolts, and caliper bracket bolts, extensions or deep well sockets will make it easier for the caliper bracket bolts. For the hub bolts themselves, I had to use the short socket on the 3/8" breaker, that's all that would fit because of the taper of the CV, I couldn't get a ratchet on it.

32mm deep well impact socket + 3 foot breaker bar for the big nut, a longer breaker, or a rigid pipe slipped over the breaker will make it easier.

1/4" drive ratchet + 8mm socket for dust shield and ABS sensor cable

med. size flat bladed screwdriver to get the plastic ABS wire hold-downs out.

Torque wrench (kinda optional, but I think they rent them at the zone for cheap)

Jack and jackstands, something to chock the rear wheels + parking brake

It goes far quicker if you have air tools, but they are not necessary.

IMO, you should replace the 32mm nut, but opinions vary, the Ford manual says to replace it, so I did.

Oh yeah, it mentions it in the writeup, but make sure you have a wire hanger to sacrifice to hold the caliper up to the upper ball-joint.

That's all I used.

Extra Large Sockets

AutoZone rents these. $15 to take it home, get your money back when you return it. I did my hubs on my old car with their rented socket, and have used many of their other tools for rent.

Do I need any of the other things listed on this page as well?

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiB...D|~6+Cylinders+245+E+4.0L+EFI+SOHC|~006|~0450

Looks like I'm going to have someone to do it eventually. My friend took my cell phone number this morning and said her husband is going to call me tonight to talk about it. And the friend that brought me to school is going to call her husband's friend that does all their repairs and see if he'll do if for me. If both of those fall through her friend's father owns a garage so she said he'd definitely give a discount on the labog if it came to that.

Tell your friends husband to take a look over here and he'll see how easy it is to do this job. Really man, this is a very easy job to do. I can replace both hub assemblies in 30 minutes. I do recommend that you replace the main hub nut, as it is a pressure nut and even Ford says that it should be changed out when replacing the hub assembly.

The only reason you shouldn't do that job by yourself is if its too cold outside and you don't have a heated garage...like me. GRRRRR!

I gave his wife the printed out instructions and he called me this morning and he said we can try it tomorrow or Monday night. Does anyone have a link the main hub nut that I need to get at Autozone? I'll see what I can find but I don't want to get the wrong thing.

As for the garage thing- I don't have a garage, I forgot to ask him if he does but I assume he does since he works on his families cars all the time. But if by some chance he doesn't the other friend that was going to ask her husband's friend said I could use her garage to do it if I needed.

Does anyone have a link the main hub nut that I need to get at Autozone? I'll see what I can find but I don't want to get the wrong thing.

They could never find the right one for me, their books don't list one, according to my counter guy.

They offered me AutoZone Part # 895329 (304972) but it isn't right, it'll thread on, but it's not got enough of a shoulder (or a washer for that matter).

It's Ford part # N808985-S100, and it's an expensive bugger, mine out the door was just under $16. Had to get mine from the dealer.

Yeah, they said they didn't have it. They said what I could do is put the old one on and if it looks like we need to replace it, find one later and just switch it.

I'm on my way out the door to get it done as soon as I print out the directions just in case, so it's too late to get one now anyway.

I have use the old nut before, but I was broken down in Moab and the Ford dealer was closed. These aren't normal nuts, they are made to conform to the threads on the axle shafts. Do it right and go to the stealership and buy new ones. You life is worth lot more than 16 bucks.

Back