what should i look before buying my 5.0? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

what should i look before buying my 5.0?

dannytech_lt

Reaction score
City, State
Union nj
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Eddie Bauer 5.0
HELLO EVERYONE!

im going to be new to the forum i recently totaled my car , so im actually getting myself a eddie bauer 2000 explorer with about 103,000

can i ask of something on this forum it might be answered im sure its been asked

hows the reliability with the 5.0 ? my brother has a 1996 4.0 and the transmission has had issues and small things other than that and its been fine , ive previously owned a 1998 chevy blazer LT that holy **** needed so much work , paid 2200 for it with 96 thousand miles i spent about 8 thousand in repairs

so my brother said get the 5.0 there reliable .. so my fellow explorers.. what can you tell me about the truck? .. actually wait .. i havent bought it yet im going to be seeing it tomorow and probably buying it so what should i look for ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check the front drive shaft and make sure the tires on it are all the same and worn evenly. Make sure the tranny doesn't slip and the motor sounds and runs good. The milage is good for the year. I don't know if you're in a rust area but a lot of rust turns me off quick.

I've been looking for another 5.0 for over a year and haven't had any luck yet. How much are they asking for that one? And remember this. It's a 13 year old V8 gas eating machine. And the price of gas is getting higher every day, lol.......

I have never seen one (especially in 2 door Sport) for sale here in Vancouver, BC - Very rare to find one for sale. The 5.0 is a mustang engine and very reliable. Will outlast the vehicle in my opinion. Don't expect 300 miles a tank out of it - it is hungry.

Shop the Dallas Craigslist. No rust and X's are plentiful. Expect to pay about $4K for a decent one.

HELLO EVERYONE!

im going to be new to the forum i recently totaled my car , so im actually getting myself a eddie bauer 2000 explorer with about 103,000

can i ask of something on this forum it might be answered im sure its been asked

hows the reliability with the 5.0 ? my brother has a 1996 4.0 and the transmission has had issues and small things other than that and its been fine , ive previously owned a 1998 chevy blazer LT that holy **** needed so much work , paid 2200 for it with 96 thousand miles i spent about 8 thousand in repairs

so my brother said get the 5.0 there reliable .. so my fellow explorers.. what can you tell me about the truck? .. actually wait .. i havent bought it yet im going to be seeing it tomorow and probably buying it so what should i look for ?

Listen for bad hub bearings at cruising speed, make sure there's no binding when turning, make sure tranny shifts nice, and it doesn't shudder when going into or coming out of OD, check for obvious signs of a blown head gasket, test all electronics/switches, check rocker panels and frame for excessive rust, make sure A/C and Heat work.

thanks guys.. i spoke to the seller today and he told me only problem is something with the radiator fan speeds , said medium doesnt work only low and hight said its about 200 to fix .. anyone know what im talking about?

+1 on checking for transmission shudder, mine does this and a friend I have with a 5.0 Explorer also has the shuddering

+1 on checking for transmission shudder, mine does this and a friend I have with a 5.0 Explorer also has the shuddering

My 98 mounty did the OD Shuffle, was quite annoying.

anything about the radiator fan speed?

I'll be checking the car tonight

if its in good shape buy it! 5.0L is the way to go and that is low for miles

Put me down for another person saying check for the tranny shudder too

How much is it listed for?

if its in good shape buy it! 5.0L is the way to go and that is low for miles

Put me down for another person saying check for the tranny shudder too

How much is it listed for?

I got my 01 from a used car dealer last January with the same mileage for $4000 out the door, so I'm going to assume around $3000.

I had a similar thought, mine was 3000 with 150,000miles
depending on the condition I wouldn't pay more than 4gs

I had a similar thought, mine was 3000 with 150,000miles
depending on the condition I wouldn't pay more than 4gs

For me to pay 4G's for a 2000 it better be immaculate lol

Lol that's what I mean, Newish: tires, brakes, fluids

If its a southern car with no rust, it could be worth it

hey guys , its for 4500 but we already talked the price is negotiable .. it has new starter , exhaust , front hub bearings and a recent oil change from 500 miles ago

its a 100XXX miles 5.0 V8 .. looks good

only thing ill do is ill just put some new touches into it .. ill put bilstein struts in it and thats about it .. i like a firm ride on trucks but besides struts i dont know what i could upgrade on it since its multi leaf.. i see the mountaineer has a few suspension upgrades in comparison i dont know if that makes it a better ride but when i had my chevy blazer it handled good for what it was ( i usually do as much as i can to prevent bounciness on the road )

im checking out the car tomorow , i was to busy today so ill check it tomorow

its a good truck , my brother has the 4.0 and other than transmission problems its a great truck with 160 thousand miles

i have a tenancy to put money into all my vehicles so they ride firmer and look nicer .. actually if anyone has advice on what i could swap for a firmer ride please let me know im in NJ so we have many pot holes and bad drivers

actually let me ask

ive been on the search all night and found a bunch of useful threads ive bookmarked .. but uh its also over whelming with how many threads they are .

where can i do some shopping seeing whats for sale on the explorer?
my main thing is a MAC intake , bilstein shocks , brake pads .. unsure which pads... and i have no idea if theres such a rear sway bar but id love to get a thicker one

i recently totaled my 2008 honda accord 6 speed manual V6 .. 270 stock Hp , but i port n polished manifold and runners , intake , Jpipe , exhaust , under drive pulley and bored our throttle body

so i need to do a few things to this 5.0

actually let me ask

ive been on the search all night and found a bunch of useful threads ive bookmarked .. but uh its also over whelming with how many threads they are .

where can i do some shopping seeing whats for sale on the explorer?
my main thing is a MAC intake , bilstein shocks , brake pads .. unsure which pads... and i have no idea if theres such a rear sway bar but id love to get a thicker one

i recently totaled my 2008 honda accord 6 speed manual V6 .. 270 stock Hp , but i port n polished manifold and runners , intake , Jpipe , exhaust , under drive pulley and bored our throttle body

so i need to do a few things to this 5.0

Since it seems you have some skills, here's what I suggest

• Make your own intake. An MAF adapter off ebay for a cone filter is like $11, and you can pick up all the tubing you need at a local hardware store and make your own.
  • You're going to want to do an exhaust. Flowmaster makes a nice catback setup.
  • Porting and polishing your throttle body is an idea as well.
  • !" Intake spacer is a mod a lot of people here do.
  • I suggest doing headers, either the cheap FMS headers, or the Torque Monster Headers. Your stock manifolds will eventually crack.

Definitely do the TMH headers, also I think you would benefit from the Jmod, check it out on the TCCOA website. It will give you firmer shift and is pretty simple if you take your time...

New front hubs are nice, it costed me 500 in parts, I do my own labor. Make sure to torque those to specs, many don't and see them malfunction much to early

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yeh with what ive read i see its agreed among many members that the stock manifolds truly suck

as for intake i could look into making my own .. with my old car there wasnt such a thing since it was so restrictive with air , but ill also look into a believe a MAC Cai? id like to mount my own heat shield but im also willing to consider a intake with one already made onto it

bilstein shocks are a must for me , personally believe bilstein are the best , i had them on my chevy blazer and it stiffened ride so it wasn't so bouncy and gave it a firmer ride .. for me firmness is most important , this isnt no SRT8 Jeep but id like to have control if i hit bumps or if im making a turn faster than the speed limit suggests

i will be purchasing tires , my brother uses the BF goodrich AT and theyve performed very well in all weather conditions and i know there reccomened from many people

my mod list that will be done first and in order of importance is ... bilstein shocks , intake since i have a stock tube with a dirty filter , tires and HIDs .. that should be done within 3 weeks but i want to first just get a good impression that everything is running smooth before i do any particular modding

performance wise although im not trying to do much performance wise but i will consider headers but ive read there in the 800 dollar price range .. unless if theres a manifold swap? i forget what ive read

EDIT my problem is theres so many threads and questions on this forum that its actually a little over whelming to find everything im looking for , for me id love to have my car handle as good as it can get along with getting best MPGs

Back