What size are the trans lines?? please help?.. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What size are the trans lines?? please help?..

92 5 oh

Reaction score
City, State
VA BEACH, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
87 RANGER
Hello, I've been looking around for a while and was wondering what size the trans cooling lines are on an A4LD? Are they 5/16" or 3/8" ???
One more question, can someone tell me which line is the feed to the radiator, then the aux cooler and back to the trans?

Oh yeah...one more thing lol
I have a mechanical temp gauge, and was thinking about installing it in the feed line on the trans, before the coolers so i could get worse case senario. I was thinking about getting a T adapter and splice it in the line, then put the sending unit in the T. Would this be accurate enought, I mean would fluid surround the entire sending unit? I wouldn't want any air bubbles.
Here's a little background info, I have an 87 ranger with an A4LD and just got it rebuilt. The cooling lines were kinked so i'm going to replace them so i've got a lot of options from here. What I would like to do is run 24" piece of line off the trans with a compression fitting/coupler (incase i have to remove the trans again), run the line to the radiator - with a temp gauge inline - then to an aux cooler, and back to the trans.
Hows this sound? I think it will work.

Thanks
steve
:exp: <--haha thats cool

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

great thank you. :thumbsup:
Now can anyone please tell me how they are routed?

thanks

Welcome to this forum! According to the ATSG repair manual on page 35, it says that the lower line is the outlet to the cooler, and the upper line is the return line from the cooler. I would recommend installing a remote filter with a 3rd fitting for either a pressure gauge, or a temperature gauge. Most of the time, it is used for a temperature gauge. Connect it to the return line. I know that it won't show your hottest level since it is coming off of the cooler, but this filter is only supposed to be installed on a low pressure return line.

There is a fitting (plug) on the driver's side of the transmission that could be used for a pressure gauge. I guess you could also use it for a temperature gauge, but it will show a slightly higher temperature. Only use high pressure 3/8" hose on the lower line, like the type that is used on power steering.

great! thanks for the info! I was thinking about getting an ATSG but have'nt gotten around to buying it.

thanks again
steve

Second the "high pressure line" suggestion. There is specific hose for transmission coolers. Don't let anybody sell you anything else, e.g. fuel-injection hose.

Back