What size rotors for spindle lift on 01 Sport 2wd | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What size rotors for spindle lift on 01 Sport 2wd

stangsteeda

Reaction score
City, State
Asheville, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Explorer Sport
I am really interested in a spindle lift on my Explorer due to having great results with the one on my 98 Ranger. So I recently purchased a 3" spindle lift kit from Suspension Max for my 2001 Ford Explorer Sport 2wd. I went to install it and to my discovery it did not fit as the vendor described it would. I did some measurements and found my rotors to be 12" as compared to the 11.25" I have heard people (and the vendor) say they should be. My questions are as follows...

1) Is the rotor size normal, should I have the 12"?

2) Is there any spindle lift that will work with these rotors since I do not want to downgrade rotor size? (And I am currently opposed to body lifts due not wanting to have to deal with the brush guardnot fitting and the not being able to tow with the bumper hassle.)

Thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ditto, I have the bigger rotor on my 99, my mail vehicle.

The difference is the caliper mounting holes in the spindle. If no spindle is made with the holes farther out like your truck, you will have to settle for the 11" rotors. They do just fine, much of the power in these brakes is from the big calipers.

I know that the calipers are different also, the pads don't interchange and you have phenolic pistons in yours. I bought those for my swap also, and chose to not use them. The older 95-01 calipers have steel pistons. I prefer the earlier caliper, if I were you and had to use the other rotors, change the calipers also(95-01 pads too). The piston size may or may not be identical, I have noticed no real change in performance going up to the 12" size. Regards,

Thanks for the replies guys. So I guess I just have two remaining questions.

1) To get the 11.25" rotors what will I be buying the rotors from, a 95-01 explorer non-sport?

2) Can I use the existing calipers to be on the cheap?

Thanks

Thanks guys, I will go get the rotors today since they are in stock and try to get the spindles back on this weekend.

Got the rotors on they and everything clears as you guys described. Thanks guys.

Very good, let us know if you see any difference in braking.

BTW, did you make the large caliper bolts really tight? They should be about the same as a lugnut, 75-90lbs.ft of torque.

Yea I did get those caliper mounting bracket bolts torqued and I do not notice a difference in braking.

I realize this is an ooooold thread, but I wanted to revive it and ask a few more questions (if any of these members are still around), since i'm about to do spindle lifts for the same reasons.

1) It looks like you just bought the smaller rotors, but kept the same pads. If that's the case, have you noticed any issues with pad overhang? By that, I mean the excess pad that now hangs off the side of the rotor, since you're using smaller rotors.

2) Have you noticed any increased brake fade, since you have less braking surface and therefore less area to absorb heat?

3) Are you still using your stock calipers? Any other updates since 2009?

It is good that you are searching and reading, but a helpful hint for others to assist you properly is to fill out your vehicle specs under your username, or in your signature block. That way people can give you what you ask for by just looking at your details of what you have. Just FYI!

It is good that you are searching and reading, but a helpful hint for others to assist you properly is to fill out your vehicle specs under your username, or in your signature block. That way people can give you what you ask for by just looking at your details of what you have. Just FYI!

Ah, I didn't notice that I didn't have my signature automatically enabled! Thanks, it should be turned on by default for all future posts now.

I realize this is an ooooold thread, but I wanted to revive it and ask a few more questions (if any of these members are still around), since i'm about to do spindle lifts for the same reasons.

1) It looks like you just bought the smaller rotors, but kept the same pads. If that's the case, have you noticed any issues with pad overhang? By that, I mean the excess pad that now hangs off the side of the rotor, since you're using smaller rotors.

2) Have you noticed any increased brake fade, since you have less braking surface and therefore less area to absorb heat?

3) Are you still using your stock calipers? Any other updates since 2009?

The caliper(and pad) location s determined by the spindle, the caliper mounting holes. If you have the 2001+ Sport Spindles, you have to use the 12" rotors that are made for those trucks. If you have the spindles made for 11" rotors(95-01's(except 01 Sport)), you have to use 11" rotors.

Matching the rotor size to the spindle used is required, the calipers and pads will locate properly when that is done. Either caliper will mount the same for any of those model years. The phenolic pistons in the newer calipers are not good for severe duty applications. Excess heat will destroy the phenolic pistons, but the steel pistons do fine in any application. Thus I kept my 1999 calipers for my mail vehicle, instead of using the 2003 calipers. Regards,

Back