What size tires can I put on my 16x7 wheels (2002 explorer) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What size tires can I put on my 16x7 wheels (2002 explorer)

I need to put some new tires on my 2002 XLS Explorer. It has the 16x7"
5-double-spoke aluminum wheels that I think usually came on the XLT. The tires currently mounted on the wheels are 255 70 16,.......but,...on my driver's door, the sticker states the tire size as 235 70 16.

I'm on a tight budget, so looking for used/take off tires. (generally, smaller is cheaper) Thinking the 235 width might be too narrow on a 7 inch wheel,...but that's just a guess.

What size tires can I safely fit on this 16 x 7" wheel?

Brian in Austin

A 235 wide tire is 9.25" wide, and a 235/70R16 will be your cheapest option. If your speedometer is already calibrated for the 255/70R16s which are about half an inch taller than the 235/70R16s, then you would be better off sticking with them.

235's were stock, factory installed. 255's give you a little more tire on the road, and a slightly bigger look. Shop around and you can find what you can afford, might check your local craigs list. Watch for adds in the saturday or sunday paper adds. Good luck Pete

I got tired of the constant looking on Craigslist,.....so ended up buying some new 245 70 16 Prodigy/Yokahamas for $486 out the door at Discount tire. Lifetime rotate and balance etc.

Back