What size trailer can an ST handle? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What size trailer can an ST handle?

429CJ-3X2

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Des Moines, Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01,'02, '04 Sport Tracs,
How big of an enclosed trailer can a Sport Trac comfortably tow?
I'm looking to buy a utility type trailer to tow with my '02 Sport Trac. I'm thinking 10-12 feet long, either enclosed, or a flatbed which I would enclose the front half of. Maybe 14 feet with a flatbed? A 12 ft livestock trailer would probably be ideal. Cargo weight will not be an issue. I mostly want it to haul and store an atv, but I want a trailer big enough I don't have to unload the atv to haul something else. Most towing will be local, but I want to be able to hit the highway, too. I installed a Curt receiver hitch last week, so the truck is ready. I just don't want to go too big on the trailer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think a 12' enclosed would be getting to the edge of "comfortable" with anything more than an ATV. That being said, Ive towed anything from a 6' util trailer to an 18' car trailer to a 25' 6K+ lbs boat. The boat was in no way comfortable and it was a last resort kinda thing. I'd say it can tow about 3.5K lbs comfortably as long as you dont expect to dart through traffic.

Not really needed but I upgraded my rear shocks to Monroe max-airs that I can pump up with any tire pump or bike pump to get rid of any sag the trailer could cause.

I think frontal area and the wind resistance it causes will be the biggest problem. That's one reason I'm considering a modified flatbed. I wouldn't make it as tall as most commercial enclosed trailers. Even a lot of the 10-12 footers are pretty tall. Unfortunately, the better built flatbeds are mostly 16 feet or longer. I don't want something that's so light it bounces around when it's empty.

Why not put the ATV in the bed?

I could see that. Haulmark's 6x12 is about 1300#s I think. I guess I just like enclosed trailers better than open top ones.

Thats a pain in the ass to get it up and down every time. The tie downs in the bed I've found are not that strong either. Also they only fit with the tailgate down and even then just barely.

I pulled my 14' Race Car trailer. Trailer is all FRP walls with a full finished interior. With race car and tools and spares, it weighed 4100lbs.

ST had no problems pulling it, windy or not. Only thing that happened was it flattened my rear springs. AAL took care of that though.

IMG_4939.jpg

Why not put the ATV in the bed?

Partly because I need a place to store the ATV as well as haul it. I already have a homebuilt 4x8 open trailer which is already a little small at times.

Here's the rest of the background story. I prep and maintain the softball field at my church. We host a league that has games 2 or 3 nights a week. In the past, I pulled the drag with my '94 Explorer which was never clean as a result. I don't want to use the 64,000 mile Sport Trac for that reason, plus even the Explorer was way heavier than ideal to be on the ballfield. We are settling my dad's estate and he had an older ATV I can get cheap to use at the ballfield. With an enclosed trailer I can both store and haul the ATV.
I think the larger trailer idea came about when I was thinking to get an F150 Supercrew with my share of Dad's life insurance. The Sport Trac fits my overall needs better. I just haven't readjusted my thinking on a trailer - which is the reason for this post.

A past employer had a 6x9 or so enclosed trailer that I sometimes pulled with my '78 F100 shortbox. This truck was equipped from the factory to pull a trailer - the original owner showed horses. It had a 400, automatic, and a beefed up suspension. All that kept it from being an F150 was the short box and 2WD. That truck and trailer were an excellent match. The wheelbases made the combo easy to maneuver and the truck pulled it well aside from when I borrowed it to haul some things to Colorado for my brother. I only had about 500 lbs in the trailer, but drove into a very strong headwind the first half of the trip out. I only got about 60 miles each on 2 tankfuls. Once the wind died down, it was back to normal. In fact when I came back empty, I ran 75-80 mph on I-80 and got the same mpg the truck alone usually got at lower speeds. I guess I'm looking for a similarly balanced package with my Sport Trac and a trailer.
For what it's worth - the vehicle summary for my Sport Trac says it has the "Payload Upgrade Package" whatever that is.

when i did my DITY move from state of record to my base's state i hauled a 6'X12' enclosed and the trailer and load totaled 3908lbs it hauled it through the badlands and black hills but its rough on 3.73 gears and no added rear suspension support. if you're rolling on 4.10 and have some extra support in the rear youll be fine up to 4000lbs. just remember extra brake time, and that enclosed will act like a parachute behind you. also trailer brakes are a must, sugre brake minimum preferrably electric brakes with a progressive trailer brake controller

Thanks for weighing in on this. I knew from your picture in another post that somebody had done this, but couldn't remember who. Good info. I've pulled trailers before, but it's always good to be reminded about extra stopping distance and that it takes longer to get up to speed.

The "parachute" effect concerns me more than the weight issue. I'll go with a smaller enclosed trailer. I don't need a big one. I just didn't want to go unnecessarily small for the rare ocassion I'd like to have the bigger one.

Every year I pull a 6x12 H&H single axle enclosed loaded with tables, chairs, grills etc for two weeks. (I rent it from Snappy's on NE 14th in Des Moines). No problems. I have the factory tow (trans cooler) package. What I load in there is roughly the same as a couple ATVs and camping equipment. I do just fine (including highway driving).

PM me for more info.

I have pulled a small open top trailer on the bumper. I won't do it again, unless I get an actual hitch. I have the factory tow edition with the trans cooler and gearing. It did alright. I work for a small business and we have to use our own vehicles for all the shopping we do....

Weight is the critical thing, not the size of the trailer. V6 Tracs are rated to tow about 4500 lb so you should be fine. Trailer brake requirements vary by state but once you're over 2000 lb then all states require brakes.

I borrowed my bro-in-law's Harley trailer to move my kids back to PA from the ex's place in NY, I'd guess it weighed 3000 lb full of stuff and I didn't have any problems other than getting 12 mpg.

TracWTrailer.gif

That looks like the size trailer I want. Do you know the dimensions?

I wouldn't complain about 12mpg while towing a trailer that size/weight since I won't be towing much distance very often. I'm only getting that now empty. Most of my miles so far are 3-5 miles at a time, in town, so the engine and drivetrain are just getting up to temp by the time I get where I'm going. My '94 Explorer sucks gas in the winter too, but does much better in warm weather and on the highway. I assume the Sport Trac will do the same.

That looks like the size trailer I want. Do you know the dimensions?

Not specifically, but I think it's about 8' or 9' long and 6.5' wide. It has tie-downs in the floor for two motorcycles side-by-side. The back door drops down into a ramp.

I think a 6x12 v-nose would be very easy to pull. I pulled one fully loaded down with my 300K mile first gen several times over 400 miles each way. I have also freeway pulled a 20 foot flat bed with cars or trucks loaded on it.

A single axle will be lighter and easier to pull forward, but it will have lower payload and backing it up is a trick as the singles will turn on you quick.

A double axle will have higher payload, will pull stable, can keep more of the weight off of your hitch, and will be easier to reverse, they are heavier empty, and cost more.

All good things to consider!

I once loaded my brother's horse trailer with car parts and towed it 500 miles to a swap meet with my '77 Ranchero. People laughed (all in good fun ), but it was available and free, and I knew it would tow straight and stable with the dual axles.

On tobeybj's recommendation, I stopped by Snappy's, the local H&H Trailer dealer. A 6x10 enclosed trailer, single axle, 2900 lb GVWR, 1250 lb empty weight, runs $2595. A 6x12 is $2695. For a limited time the V nose is no charge. More than I hope to spend, but they're quality trailers. Still hope to find a used one. Seeing various sizes in person helps me gain perspective.

I appreciate everyone's input!!

Here's the trailer I ended up buying.http://www.mysporttrac.com/~library/29593/000_0751%20%28800x533%29.jpg
It's a 6x12, flat front Doolittle. It's a little taller than some. I'm 6'3 and I can stand up straight in it. The other side has some cosmetic issues - residue from old lettering, fender ripped off when a tire blew out, but it already has tiedowns in the floor. Paid $1500. It sits a little more level than it looks here. The rear tires of the Trac are in a low spot. The ATV is in the trailer. It's a Kawasaki Prairie 300, 4 feet wide x 7 feet long, & weighs about 600 lbs. The front tires are at the rear of the side door.
I went after the ATV last weekend. The route is 125 miles of moderate hills for the most part - mostly long gradual slopes. All but 3 miles on each end is 4 lane highway, 65 mph limit. Going down last Friday, I had enough of a headwind to be noticeable. Kept it at about 62 mph, no O/D. On the way back Sunday there was a stiff tailwind, so I used O/D on the flatter, more gradual stretches. With no cruise control, it's easy to tell when the truck is working harder. Definitely used more gas on the way down. For the trip it got 11.5 mpg. Two weeks earlier, on the same route minus the trailer and with 50 miles of in-town driving added, it got 16.8.
The combo is easy to maneuver like I had hoped. Probably wouldn't want to tow on the highway every day, but for an occasional trip, the Trac will do just fine.

I pull my Cobra to many racetracks during the year.

2200 lb race car
Open 4-wheel trailer
Tools and stuff in the bed

Very careful throttle foot. Very careful on the brakes.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back