What spare parts to carry for 2nd gen EX | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What spare parts to carry for 2nd gen EX

ProjectAviator

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
SE, WY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT,
I am wondering what spare parts should I carry when wheeling for my 2nd generation explorer, with IFS?

My club suggests carrying spare parts, just in case.

Can anyone come up with some that would be good to carry that can be fixed with hand tools on the trail.

Tim

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm curious, too. Subscribing.

These are the things I would carry;

rear drive shaft
1 complete CV axle
inner/outer tie rod
alternator
rear diff cover

There are probably other parts you should carry but those are definantly important to have and likely to be damaged.

I'd also carry some bailing wire, jb weld, fluids for everything, ratchet straps, tow straps, come along, high lift.. etc etc. I used to have my explorer loaded with spare parts and other handy things but it's been so long since I wheeled I can't remember them all off the top of my head :\ I'm pretty sure Gjarret has a thread on here of all the equipment he carried and if I recall it was very extensive.

Doug's list is good.

The single most important, IMO, is the halfshaft, and know how to replace it.
It's all I've seen break on gen 2s.

A tire plug kit and an air tank. Saved my behind not to long ago. Well not really, But it did save me from pulling my spare off of my roof to get her home!
JIGA

The CV shaft and stub shaft are the same on both sides. but the inner axle shafts are 2 different lengths. it would be wise to carry a long side and short side inner axle shaft and then just attach it to the rest of the axle when needed. A tire repair kit is a great idea, depending on the situation it's alot easier to repair a tire than to put the spare on. However I've rarely seen a flat on the trail that can be fixed by a tire repair kit.

These are the things I would carry;

rear drive shaft
1 complete CV axle
inner/outer tie rod
alternator
rear diff cover

The alternator one through me for a loop there. I have never blown an alternator out on the trails nor have I been with someone who has. Is this a 2nd gen. explorer thing? Just curious. I have never heard of this.
Thanks
JIGA

If you get out in the mud it's pretty easy to blow your alternator. It seems like everytime I would goto Paragon someone would run through the mud and burn out thier alternator.

What you carry with you really depends on what type of trail and off-roading you plan to do and your driving habits.
But of course it never hurts to plan for the worst :D Some people (like Blee1099) for example need torsion bars :confused:

If you get out in the mud it's pretty easy to blow your alternator. It seems like everytime I would goto Paragon someone would run through the mud and burn out thier alternator.

Well thats good to know. Out in my region we do not have alot.....But we have mud. Like I said I have never run into anyone blowing an alternator in my 20 years of wheeling... but good to know nun the less. Let me ask you this. And this is not sarcasm. If blowing alternators is a big problem because of mud, Would it not be an easy mod to make some kind of plastic shield for it or is it the belt that actually drags the mud into the component?
Just curious.
Thanks
JIGA

i had one go bad last year in my 2000 out on a group run with slravene and limtiedex. sucked but good thing i had my optima

I'm sure you could fashion up something to keep mud off of it. Personally I've never had a problem with my alternator and i've soaked it. When I wash the motor I was off the alternator with the powerwasher and it's never been an issue. I'm not 100% sure what the exact failure is when an alternator goes bad from getting wet but I would assume it's from the rectifiers shorting out.

I have heard its more of an issue with muddy water and mud, fresh water doesnt seem to affect the alternator as much. Sometimes you can rinse the alternator with fresh water and have it start working properly again, most the time once the voltage drops the alternator is gone though.

Doug arent the CV's different on the 95-96 because the vacuum disconnect?

carry anything that has broken before, fluids for everything, rad hoses, serp belt, tow straps, if u dont have a winch then maybe a come-a-long. jumper cables and u-joints? all i can think of off hand

edit: cant fix anything without tools, better have a good set of tools too

Back