What steering box to use for SAS? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What steering box to use for SAS?

I am gathering parts for my SAS, I have the axle that I am working on. One thing I am unsure of is what to use for the steering box?
What are all of you using for a steering box on your SASed 2nd Gen Explorer.

Thanks

Tim

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd go with a first gen Explorer box. Or a toyota box if you're ever going to hydro assist it. :cool:

I like my Toy box but either box seems to work. I went with the toy box because there's no room for an inboard framerail mounted box on a V8 due to the radiator. Only issue I've got with the toy box is that my tire still manages to rub a bit on the nut of the sector shaft when compressed and at full lock to the right. I wouldn't expect such a problem on a full width axle though.

Oh yeah, one more thing, with the toy box, since it's outboard you're going to need to try to accomodate a LONG(extended past the frame rail) panhard bar equal angle to the draglink... if you're running a coil sprung suspension.

Will the 2nd gen steering hoses work with the 1st gen steering box or will I need adapters.

Thanks

Tim

Will the 2nd gen steering hoses work with the 1st gen steering box or will I need adapters.

Thanks

Tim

I want to say they screw right in for the OHV. Or you may need to change out only one hose. been to long, can remember. I do remember that 1st gen hoses work though. Just can't remember if they are the same:confused:

I have both a IFS toy box and FJ60 box to try out. The FJ60 is the same as a IFS toy except for the extra mounting hole and it is a forward swing box not a rear swing like the IFS box. Im hoping this will help on draglink to tierod clearance.

aap592811a.jpg

I used a Gen 1 box and Gen1 pressure line. I also re-used my IFS power steering cooler as well. I also have a hybrid Gen1 and Gen 2 steering shaft.

SAS_044.jpg

SAS_036.jpg

SAS_009.jpg

Bump

Anymore input or ideas? I just picked up a ranger box to use on my 5.0 explorer but would still like to see more ideas and pictures of set ups. Has anyone run the first gen box on a 5.0 without having to use a remote oil filter?

definitely had to use the remote oil filter, 90* adapter and an oil bung from an older mustang for the adapter to spin on to

Back