• Register Today It's free!

What supercharger for my 5.0?

imq707s

Reaction score
City, State
Springfield, Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mercury Mountaineer
What brand of supercharger would be the best choice for the 5.0 in my Mountaineer? I'm going to pull out the motor, do a full rebuilt, and bolt a supercharger on it. What is a safe boost level to run on pump gas? 6psi? 9psi? What kind of HP numbers should I expect? Anyone have a supercharger on there 5.0 Xplorer? Are they worth the money?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I dont have a supercharger on my X but have one on my GTP and have worked extensively to modify it.

You will have a significant increase in performance. I would recommend a roots style blower. This will give you increased torque by alowing full boost at low rpm. This is good for a 4000lb + vehicle.

Boost depends on how well the intake and exhaust flow without detonation. Always start low and get a scanner to monitor the engine for detonation when increasing boost over the recommendations of the kit. An intercooler would be a GREAT help. I would install headers at the very least. Higher ratio rocker arms will also help flow more with the higher boost.

Lastly, get a chip/flasher to tune your beast from HypIllauto.com or Bamachips. I would say with headers, tune, and Blower you should be in the neighborhood of 300 HP and a butt load of torque.

I forgot.

If you are rebuilding the motor you can reduce the compression to run higher boost with the supercharger. Find a good engine builder and let them know what supercharger you want and what kind of boost you want to run. they can build the CR for the blower. About 8 to 8.5 to 1 is about the norm for blown motors.

The stock 302 compression is ideal for normal supercharging. For racing it could be lower, for a very low boost application(EE supercharger) it could be raised to 9.0 or so.
Do a search for the posts by tmsoko, and see what ideally we would like to do.
Good luck,
Don

A careful search will reveal lots of information about the 1997 5.0 as it relates to superchargers; your best bet is to determine whether you have internal or external EGR application, then review the Roots vs. Centrifigul issues; I chose the latter over the former for multiple reasons. The tune is imperative for best performance as mentioned above.

I have to recommend the roots or twin screw for the explorer, due to vehicle weight. The Twin Screw Autorotor compressor I have produces full boost at 1800rpm! On the dyno, my torque peak was at 2000rpm - 353rwftlbs - and it was a table top through 3600rpm, then slowly falling to 275 at 5200rpm due to the explorer cam.

What this gives you is a great street / daily driver and plenty of performance for the track. A centrifugal would give more power at the top end, but much less at low rpm, where you need it for the street.

Explorer Express makes a kit for the 5.0L with an Eaton roots. I have been kicking around the idea of making a few of the "Kenne Bell" kits. Check out my picture page or email for detail.

Todd
tmsoko@comcast.net

tmsoko said:
Explorer Express makes a kit for the 5.0L with an Eaton roots. I have been kicking around the idea of making a few of the "Kenne Bell" kits. Check out my picture page or email for detail.

Todd
tmsoko@comcast.net

Do not tease me with that. If you're really serious, shoot me a PM cuz I'd be very interested.

I love my Ford Racing (Powerdyne), although, yes, it does take higher RPM to obtain boost...but when it's there you know it.

Next up..a CAT back.

wpurple said:
I love my Ford Racing (Powerdyne), although, yes, it does take higher RPM to obtain boost...but when it's there you know it.

Next up..a CAT back.

I so which would be better the Roots or Powerdyne? The roots is so much! I could get a polished powerdyne to a lot less.

Is there a place to get the roots for less than $3500?

compdoc777 said:
I so which would be better the Roots or Powerdyne? The roots is so much! I could get a polished powerdyne to a lot less.

Is there a place to get the roots for less than $3500?

Go with the powerdyne. You can swap the pullies and go up to 10 PSI with the Powerdyne BD-11 unit. Throw and extra 1800 plus swap your old s/c and you can get the XB-1A that maxs out at 18-19 PSI. I've got my eye on one at the moment.

BeauJ said:
Go with the powerdyne. You can swap the pullies and go up to 10 PSI with the Powerdyne BD-11 unit. Throw and extra 1800 plus swap your old s/c and you can get the XB-1A that maxs out at 18-19 PSI. I've got my eye on one at the moment.

You know where to get the best price for a 2000 model? Am I going to need to buy injectors and crap?

compdoc777 said:
You know where to get the best price for a 2000 model? Am I going to need to buy injectors and crap?

You don't need to buy injectors, but an intank fuel pump would be nice. I went with a mustang 255 lph pump. Took about 3 mins to cut/splice the wires then put the tank back up. Only help you might need is to get someone with a jack and get the tank as empty as possible. My dumbass tried to do it with a 1/4 tank and it was a blast :rolleyes:

As for price, unless someone is selling on the board or ebay, expect to spend around 2800.

BeauJ said:
You don't need to buy injectors, but an intank fuel pump would be nice. I went with a mustang 255 lph pump. Took about 3 mins to cut/splice the wires then put the tank back up. Only help you might need is to get someone with a jack and get the tank as empty as possible. My dumbass tried to do it with a 1/4 tank and it was a blast :rolleyes:

As for price, unless someone is selling on the board or ebay, expect to spend around 2800.
Let me know a good place.

So I can use my stock 19 lbs injectors.

The Explorer Express is using 30 lbs injectors and they come with the kit

compdoc777 said:
Let me know a good place.

So I can use my stock 19 lbs injectors.

The Explorer Express is using 30 lbs injectors and they come with the kit

Unless you plan on further engine mods, those injectors will be fine as long as you do the pump swap. Ford Racing's website has them on the site for a decent price. Try searching the site for "Powerdyne" and see if anything pulls up in the For Sale forum.

BeauJ said:
Unless you plan on further engine mods, those injectors will be fine as long as you do the pump swap. Ford Racing's website has them on the site for a decent price. Try searching the site for "Powerdyne" and see if anything pulls up in the For Sale forum.

I do have 24lbs injectors and 80 mm mass for the 24lbs injectors

Should I use those?

BeauJ said:

I do have 24lbs injectors and 80 mm mass for the 24lbs injectors. Should I use those?

What kind of whp are you getting out of yours?

compdoc777 said:
I do have 24lbs injectors and 80 mm mass for the 24lbs injectors. Should I use those?

What kind of whp are you getting out of yours?

I'd def. use those if I had them. Get a good custom chip burned for it. I'm guessing with my mods/max boost around 300 rwhp.

BeauJ said:
I'd def. use those if I had them. Get a good custom chip burned for it. I'm guessing with my mods/max boost around 300 rwhp.

Ok, question I am at 200+ whp at the moment the explorer express says 86 whp with included 30lbs injectors. Which would do more low end torque.

Also, I have an E303 cam should I use that too. I like the powerdyne because complments my polished cobra upper and lower intake manifold.

with the roots I cannot use that. Yet, I could sell it.

Yet the polished powerdyne looks awesome!

Do you have any pics of yours installed?

The roots would give more low end torque, but the centrifugal just keeps building. The root can max out around 2k rpm while the centrifugal will kick in around 3k depending on the pulley. With the setup I'm gonna run I will be a full boost at around 4k and shifting around 5800 rpm.

If I was you I wouldn't run the e cam. There are more choices out there. Get a nice dual pattern Lunati or Trickflow cam.

Pics of mine installed are in my sig. Click 14 sec explorer to see them. They are pretty dated. I've got custom intake/inlet tubes, FMS headers and repainted the S/C silver. I've thought of selling it, but damn it's too much a sleeper to get rid of.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

BeauJ said:
The roots would give more low end torque, but the centrifugal just keeps building. The root can max out around 2k rpm while the centrifugal will kick in around 3k depending on the pulley. With the setup I'm gonna run I will be a full boost at around 4k and shifting around 5800 rpm.

If I was you I wouldn't run the e cam. There are more choices out there. Get a nice dual pattern Lunati or Trickflow cam.

Pics of mine installed are in my sig. Click 14 sec explorer to see them. They are pretty dated. I've got custom intake/inlet tubes, FMS headers and repainted the S/C silver. I've thought of selling it, but damn it's too much a sleeper to get rid of.

What kind of power am I looking at getting with the Powerdyne kit off the shelf for the 2000 exploder.

Back