What supplies do I need for a tune-up? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What supplies do I need for a tune-up?

Tishna

Reaction score
City, State
Chicagi,IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 XLT
I need to have my SUV tuned up. I would like to buy all the supplies efore taking it in. Can someone please tell me what I need. I know I need 5 quarts of oil (don't know what kind 10W 5W? 30, 40?), distributor cap (IDK if I need a rotor, or if they are the same thing), air filter, oil filter, wires & spark plugs (idk how many)...anything else?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread into the stock 95-01 section. Your vehicle uses a coil pack (distributorless ignition), so there is no cap & rotor. Replace the plugs, cables, PCV, air filter, fuel filter, and all of the fluids. Grease your ball joints & U joints (if they are the type to grease with a grease gun).

If your engine is the 4.0 OHV v6 or the 4.0 SOHC v6, you need 6 wires and six spark plugs. 5.0 v8, you need 8 wires and 8 plugs.

I need to have my SUV tuned up. I would like to buy all the supplies efore taking it in. Can someone please tell me what I need. I know I need 5 quarts of oil (don't know what kind 10W 5W? 30, 40?), distributor cap (IDK if I need a rotor, or if they are the same thing), air filter, oil filter, wires & spark plugs (idk how many)...anything else?

Lets assume an OHV V6.

5W30 motorcraft oil and an FL-1A filter at walmart is a great choice.
No cap or rotor needed.
Get motorcraft or Autolite plugs. (autozone has cheap motorcraft plugs) (6 for a V6)
Motorcraft wires. (set)
air, oil, fuel filters

Go into a parts store and they can look up parts for you. Also rockauto.com with a discount code from the fourm is a good place.

Also, if it was my truck, and its original, I would change the two idler pulleys on the tensioner and front cover. They have a high probability of failing on these trucks. Also inspect the belt.

Back