What the heck is wrong with my truck? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What the heck is wrong with my truck?

xreignx

Reaction score
City, State
Taylor, Mi
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Eddie Bauer
1994 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer Edition

I'm am completely lost here. Here is the problem I am having. I made a left hand turn off of a busy street. as soon and I entered the new road there was a small bump. I heard a popping noise and my truck started pulling fairly hard to the right. It also kinda sounded like I was driving on a flat, you know "THUMP THUMP THUMP THUMP". I pulled over and looked under the truck and didn't see anything broken. I drove home slowly. My brother came over and drove my truck, nothing was wrong! It wasn't pulling at all or making the noise! I drove it to work the next day and as soon as I hit a small bump the same problem occurred, but it seems to go away when another bump is hit. What could be wrong? Please everyone this is my only vehicle and I'm scared to put my kids in it. :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have the radius arm bushings ever been replaced? What about ball joints? Jack up the front of the vehicle and check the front end tightness my moving wheels up and down and side to side. Check all your steering geometry and pretty much anything that 'moves'. also check brake calipers and make sure the pins haven't slid out.

Oh, and welcome to the forum! :wavey:

I jacked up the front end. No side to side movement. when I try up and down movement, I hear clunking but the tire doesn't move enough to feel it. I had something in front right axle replaced a few months ago because it wouldn't let me turn all the way right. I also had the front wheel hubs replaced. Does any of that help at all?

What is the conditions of the radius arm bushings, and which side did the clunking that you could tell?

I don't really know how to properly judge bushings. But I could grab the control arm and twist it back and forth with ease. I couldn't really tell which side the clunking was coming from but possibly the passenger side.

could a bad radius arm bushing cause intermittent problems like I am experiencing?

the clunking and pulling to the right? Very much so could be a bad bushing. First gens are notorious for the bushings rotting out and elonging the mounting bracket, thus causing the movement. The clunking could be the actual arm hitting the inside of the support. If the bushings look cracked or hard or missing (which is possible) time for replacement

I'm actually gonna go look at that right now. I will let you know if a few minutes.

I took a look and I uploaded a video for you to look at. It looks like the truck has already had those bushings replaced. the rivets were not there. Instead there were bolts there. The bushing looks like it was in good condition. Sorry its a little blurry

Yep, looks like they've been replaced before. Next place I would look is on the knuckles. Check the brake calipers to make sure they are seated, and ball joints to see if they are bad. Next check the tie rods to make sure they are not bent or loose.

suppose I just take some more video. could you give me your opinion? lol oh and btw what the heck are the knuckles?

The steering knuckle is the spindle assembly, the part that the two ball joints connect to. A visual inspection may not show where the clunking is coming from. It may be helpful to have a second person available to move the tire assembly around to mimic the clunking you are hearing while you watch the suspension and notice any unusual movement. Manily you just want to man-handle parts of the front end and see where the clunk is coming from :D

Ok thanks for all your help. I think I will wait until morning to check anything else out. I hope I can fix it :(

No problem bud, there are a lot of great folks on here willing to help! Just search around, anf in no time you should be able to find the answer you seek :cool:

check the sway bar links.

mine broke and I hit a small bump crossing a road and the whole front end on the passenger side dropped and I thought I broke a spring.

turned out that my sway bar link broke. it's just a long bolt that ties the sway bar to the lower A arm.

I may be wrong but it looks to me that the centerline of the radius arm stud is high in the bracket. It could just be the angle and or perception but i would remove the nut and heat shield from the radius arm to see the bushing better.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome....need any help or someone to come by and look it over with you let me know. Im in commerce twp, mi. Kinda try and direct you to a fix by seeing and hearing it in person.

Back