What tires to get for 17" rims? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What tires to get for 17" rims?

I'm lifiting my truck soon, just waiting for the parts. Anyways, I have 17x8 rims and need to get some nice tires. What should I get? I'm looking for 33" tires. Here are some I've looked at.

Goodyear Wrangler MT/R 285/70

ProComp All-Terrain 33x12.5

BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain T/A KM 285/70

Any other tires out there that are good? Having 17" rims limits me alot. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well what kind of terrain will you be dealing with? If it includes any mud more than 3-4 inches deep, then don't even consider the procomps at's.

No mud.

I live in the desert so mud is not really an issue. When it rains, it's basically a flash flood and then it's gone. So mud won't be a problem that often. Also, it's not that much mud.

As with most people, 80% of my driving will be on pavement, but the other 20% will be mostly hardpack with occasional snow and light mud.

Have you thought about the new Nitto's? The magazines say they're good, but I don't know anyone who has them yet.

Yes I saw an ad for them, but the only size they have listed in 17" is a 265/70, which they say is the same as a 31x10.5. I really want something a bit bigger (like a 33").

if your doin' mostly sand and highway, just go for the Pro Comp AT's. you'll be happy with them. they will last longer, be less noisy, etc. and, they work fine in sand.

I also saw some 17" Super Swamper Radial SSR's in a 32x11.5 on www.4wheelparts.com . They seems a bit extreme though. And I don't hink I'll be spending enough time off-road to jsutify getting those. Too much for a decent highway ride.

according to the mod list on his homepage, he already knows about the pirelli scorpion zeroes :D but you dont want those for offroading - theyre a high performance street tire.

i dont know anything about off road tires, but the bfg mud terrains look pretty cool when i see trucks with em ;)

Originally posted by hornz2000
pirelli scorpion zeroes

I have the Scorpion Zeros right now. 275/55 R17. But I'm lifting my X and need bigger off road tires.

Do they make the offroad pirelli scorpions in the size you want?

Not that I've seen. Maybe I'll try the Pirelli web site to see if they have them.

Nope. They have a 265/70 R17 sized tire, but that's it.

No problem.

It was actually a great suggestion, that's why I am using them already. It's just time for a change. It's time to go BIG.

Three weeks.

Well, the lift kit is out of stock and it'll take three weeks for them to get more. At least that gives me more rtime to find tires. Maybe Nitto will release more 17" tires in teh meantime.

Back