Reaction score
City, State
Windsor NS
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT
Okay here is my situation,
I have a 88 BII chop, 8.8 and D35 from a 93 ex
it has a 4" suspension lift.
Can I swap this lift into my 94 explorer?

My ex just had a transmission rebuild and my BII's tranny is on the way out. We just got a new 97 car so I need to get rid of the ex or the BII. Would it be worth selling the BII for $2000 and buying a new lift for the ex?
There are alot of parts I could use of the BII if it came down to it.

What should I do here?
My 94 ex is mint, with no rust, zero body damage etc..
Big reason I do not want to fix the BII is because its not very good for camping or long trips, I have two dogs and one is a great dane, so me two dogs and the women with 3 days with of camping gear, tools and spare tire and high lift jack do not fit so well in this thing anymore!!
But the ex is huge.
I could also swap the 4.0L and the tranny into the BII..

here is my BII
DSCF5095.jpg

and the ex
XLT.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thats a mean looking BII. I would sell it as is and buy the parts again for the Expo. It means more work, but for 2g's you can get another lift/tires/wheels/lights/etc from the for sale forum and have a mean looking Explorer.

this is a tough one for sure.

You can use the BII parts to lift the explorer, this gives you a bit more room but its alot of work either way.

once you take all the parts off the BII you want to use for the Ex the BII will not be worth much at all

You could also start planning for a 4.0L and 5 speed swap into the BII, its a damn easy conversion, then you can get a small trailer or cargo rack to help with the gear load when camping.

Big dogs like big trucks, BII or Explorer are not really big trucks.

Tough choice for sure, especially after all the work you have done to the BII.

Is camping the main thing you will use your rig for?
Any hard core 4x4ing in your future?

this one is simple. Use the explorer for your recreation/transport all the while towing the bronco II behind you for fun! seriously though, that is a fun little cheap toy that if you put it on its side you wouldnt be to upset about it, would you feel that way about the explorer if it was on its side?

Yea keep them both. Can't ever have to many trucks. Just fix up the engine when more $ lets you. Or swap in a new engine.

so BII = 4x4 ands cruising, explorer = everything else.

Hmmmm sounds familiar

well if we go 4x4in we go camping at the same time.
I am in Vancouver BC, we have loads of places to go but a good 4h's out of the city. than another good 2 or 3 h's in the mountains, way up. SO its a long long day for the BII with all the camping and dogs, etc...
But I have done alot of work....................

Big dogs like big trucks, BII or Explorer are not really big trucks.

Is camping the main thing you will use your rig for?
Any hard core 4x4ing in your future?

Well both dogs fit real nice in the Ex, but my ol buddy obie, (great dane) loves to sit in the back of the BII on a nice day with the wind blowing on him, just no room for anything elts, specially a full size spare and high jack!
DSCF5522.jpg

and how could you not take him camping :(
DSCF5476.jpg

sounds like you need a tire carrier with a spot for a hi lift, roof rack? tailgate?

Blamo problem solved

To me it's simple, sell the BII and then do what you'd like to the X, could do a lot of mods for $2,000 couldn't ya'? :)

you think a chopped BIi with a bad trans is worth $2000???? I am not sure what that is in Canada monies hahaha but a BII like that in Denver would be lucky to get $500 and no offense is meant, I have a BII worth about $3500 that cost me about 5 times that to build.......the market is flooded

yea its impossible to get your money back. And there is no way you can do everything you want to that ex for under 2000. Besides that bronco 11 is such a cool little trail rig.

I could get around $1500 as is now. It can handle around 2h's of driving before the tranny starts to spit out any fluid...
Most cases here in BC you can sell almost any car or truck that has Air Care on it for $1000
I know it would cost more than $2000 to do what I want to the ex, but if I can just swap these lift parts in than I should be ok. I can sell alot of the parts off the BII, but when its done it would be going to the junk yard

Go with the Ex... I'd parked on the street the other day, and as I was walking back to the truck I noticed a Cherokee next to it... I didn't realize until then how big the Explorer actually is. It's a good couple inches taller and a few inches longer than a Cherokee, or at least that's what it appeared to me. But, that's only if you think that the Ex will fit everything better. If you think you'll still have trouble fitting all the gear in the Ex, then either way you'll need to get a trailer or something, so best to stick with the BII since it's already done. If the Ex will fit everything and more, then go with that. Besides, I've seen more modded BII's in the Lower Mainland than nice modded Ex's...

I've got your solution.

88 BII Eddie stock w/5sp running on X springs now.

Pluss all the parts to lift your X

D35 w/ locrite 3.73 partially rebuilt
6" drop pivots
6" coils (red, forget the brand)
Super runner steering setup
Extended RA's
4" lift Softride leaves
Extra drum 8.8 w/3.55 and 3.73 R&P in a box
various other parts like drive shafts extended brake lines James Duff shcock still in the box

$1100 all or nothing, come and get it.:salute:

Go with the Ex... I'd parked on the street the other day, and as I was walking back to the truck I noticed a Cherokee next to it... I didn't realize until then how big the Explorer actually is. It's a good couple inches taller and a few inches longer than a Cherokee, or at least that's what it appeared to me. But, that's only if you think that the Ex will fit everything better. If you think you'll still have trouble fitting all the gear in the Ex, then either way you'll need to get a trailer or something, so best to stick with the BII since it's already done. If the Ex will fit everything and more, then go with that. Besides, I've seen more modded BII's in the Lower Mainland than nice modded Ex's...

Hey hows the tire carrier working out?
I think I am going to go with the ex... still not 100% on that though. Now that I found out that my leaf spring mounbts have been mounted to fit a SOA on a explorer I think I may just swap the 8.8 from the BII and put it under the ex because I will not need to move the mounts
at all.

Here is the 8.8 under the BII
DSCF5551.jpg

I suppose I could use all the new shocks from the BII as well on the ex

Back