what to look for in a 91.

'97 V8

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
ft. knox ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 mounty 5.0 4x4 baby!!
Im throwing the idea around to buy a 91 Explorer as a graduation present for my sister (ofcourse i'll have it fixed up and painted before i give it to her.). I know almost nothin about the first gens. Is there anything i should look for on the 91 explorer? I know about the infamous a4ld and coolant leaks but thats about it. So, can you guys give me the downlow on the 91's.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check for rust in the quarters and dog legs. Also, check the radius arm bushings. As you are aware, the main concern would be the trans. Make sure it shifts properly between Fwd and Rev when the engine is cold. If there is any hesitation, consider walking away from it.

Don't forget about the famous auto hubs. If you really want to save some headaches try to find one with a sitck I've never had one issue with mine in 13 years. But if that is not an option, choose wisely.

ya it has a stick apparently. so that is definatly a plus. I think im going to buy it.

The points I thought have , have been mentioned. The Manual gearbox is a good thing. Lot of rot issues up the rear wheel wells ( Dog Legs).

And of course the Intake manifold gasket coolant leak issue.

MAnual Hubs would keep her out of trouble too.

That's the trouble I have seen in my '91. it has 260K miles on it

Back