What to replace in AC rebuild | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What to replace in AC rebuild

lawedtenn

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explorer XLT
Hello all, The AC compressor in my 2005 Explorer Blew last year just after summer. Now that it's getting warm I want to fix before summer is here in full force. Are there parts typically replaced when rebuilding an AC System? Local mechanic said it needed the compressor. All in it would be $1600.00 to fix. By the way the Explorer has a 4.6L 5 speed auto trans.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would not necessarily say replace the condenser. At a minimum I would pull it out and have it flushed with an A\C system cleaning solvent.

The same applies with the evaporator but since they are tough to pull out, you may need to flush that in place.

It gets all of the old Goo out of it left behind after the compressor went Thermonuclear.

cool, It did go Thermonuclear. when the compressor blew, I thought I was dragging something, due to the hissing sound from the high pressure side. The neon green lubricant was everywhere. I thought that too was coolant, but the truck didn't heat up, so I drove it home.

$1600.00 is super high in my book.

It might be better if you shop around.

Back