What to use for cutting 1/8 and 1/4 diamond plate? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What to use for cutting 1/8 and 1/4 diamond plate?

RiverRat

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 V8 Ranger 4x4
What is the best way to get clean cuts in 1/8 and 1/4 Al diamond plate? Will my electric jig saw work? I might be able to borrow a plasma cutter.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your jig saw would work but you will need a metal cutting blade and have to have something to clamp the diamond plate to . At my old job I used to make boat trailers and we used diamod plate for the steps.
I used a band saw to cut it.

Give it a shot with the plasma if you want some really nasty looking cuts. Unless you know what you are doing you'll most likely blow aluminum lava all over the place.
I would use the jig saw with a metal blade or a regular circular saw if its all straight cuts. I've seen folks us a regular wood blade for small amounts on 1/8" aluminum and it works perfect.

jasonb said:
Give it a shot with the plasma if you want some really nasty looking cuts. Unless you know what you are doing you'll most likely blow aluminum lava all over the place..
Thanks guys. I only have about 10 minutes of time using a plasma cutter and don't want to mess up this sheet of diamond plate $$$. I'll get some metal blades and give the circular saw and jig saw a go on the 1/8"

I cut my diamondplate with a circular saw with an abrasive blade for the straight runs, and a jigsaw for the cutouts followed by a hand grinder and the dremel tool to smooth out any rough spots.

are you making mostly straight cuts or curves? you can clamp a straight edge to the diamond plate which will act as a guide for the plasma cutter. i do it all the time... :thumbsup:

straight cuts :cool:

angle grinder with cutoff wheel.

Back