What tool to use to take differential plug out? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What tool to use to take differential plug out?

2blk400

Reaction score
City, State
So Calee
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
I have a 2002 Explorer XLT and I used a 3/8 to take the differential drain plug out? I tried to take out the drain plug but, it is huge. I tried a 1/2 inch socket drive and it seems like it uses one that is twice as big. Went to Sears and Harbor Freight but, it looks like it takes a 1 inch socket drive or hex bit. I want to drain the differential. Anyone do this or know what size exactly the drain plug for the differential takes? Also, it looks like the fill plug has some thread sealant. It is orange in color.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2002 Ex rear diff drain takes a 3/4" square drive. You can get an inexpensive 1/2 to 3/4 adapter to use on your 1/2" drive ratchet or breaker bar.

Or you could use a syphon pump and hose.

2002 Ex rear diff drain takes a 3/4" square drive. You can get an inexpensive 1/2 to 3/4 adapter to use on your 1/2" drive ratchet or breaker bar.

I tried the usual tool stores with this size. All of them do not have it. I will have to order it online. It sucks because, I will probably use the adapter once or maybe twice at most. I was considering siphoning but, I read there is might me be trouble with clearance(gears blocking bottom of differential) to completely drain it out.

Thanks for the responses.

Another option...

I've never seen the third gen's plug, but if it is indeed a 3/4" drive, and I didn't have a 3/4" drive (which is true), then I think the next best thing is to go to a local hardware store and find some 3/4" steel square stock as the "driver" in the plug, and use a 3/4" open-ended wrench to rotate the "driver". Of course this assumes theres room for such a wrench.

If you have a cutting tool (grinder), and a welder, next thing I'd do is weld a small section of this 3/4" square stock to the fill plug and in the future, just use the 3/4" open-end wrench.

I know its a little crude and over the top but this somewhat makes the whole removing the diff plug more simple since more people have a 3/4" open-end wrench than a 3/4" socket driver.

You can usually find that adapter in stock at Sears or Harbor Freight. Sears may sell it alone but HF is more likely to sell it in a kit of 3 or 4 various adapters.

1/2 female to 3/4 male socket adapter

Joes_t1.jpg

Back