What tools do I need to remove a factory subwoofer box? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What tools do I need to remove a factory subwoofer box?

85 GT Kid

Reaction score
City, State
Roanoke, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
So im planning on goin to the junkyard and i'd rather not have to lug all my tools around the junkyard searching for a box and was wondering if someone could help me. Last time I saw one I think it had torx bits holding it but I dont know the size. Also what size bolts hold the sub itself in (Im gonna leave that at the yard).

Thanks guys!

John

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Some of the info you need is in this post by Joe Dirt...
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=292595

Joe Dirt said:
T50 Torx bit socket to remove seat belt

Some type of panel popper will help removal of the panel push-in clips/pins. I use a Snap-On one...

Snap-On_ASG185A.jpg

Cool thanks man now to get up to the junkyard (hopefully tuesday if I get the explorer back on the road so I can haul some new leather seats for her :D.

I would have...

-Trim puller, or a large screwdriver, which is what I use to pry the back side panel away. If the interior is the same color, grab some of the push pins. If not, find a truck that is like yours and grab some.

-Phillips screwdriver
-I'd take a 8mm-13mm set of sockets, a ratchet, and an extension. I've seen amp and retainer bolts from 8mm to 10mm to 11mm.
-T50 Torx as said, to get the seatbelt off. Not necessary, you can bend the hell out of the panel and wedge it against the black floor clip to hold it in place, but I tend to try not to destroy stuff so the next person can grab it if they need it.
-If you want to remove the coat hook and totally remove the rear panel, you might need a 5.5mm deep socket for the bolt holding it in.

Pretty simple.

...but I tend to try not to destroy stuff so the next person can grab it if they need it.

I am that way, on most things :shifty_ey

tend to = most... Me too- sometimes I'm like Tommy Boy in an airplane bathroom :D

Do yourself a favor and just buy a cheaper aftermarket 8 inch sub and put it the box you have. I paid about $25 shipped for a new Kraco Mind Blower 8. :)
The old stock **** is all clapped out now~em~days.

Guess I misread the post, but def. take some 8-13 mm sockets.

Do yourself a favor and just buy a cheaper aftermarket 8 inch sub and put it the box you have. I paid about $25 shipped for a new Kraco Mind Blower 8. :)
The old stock **** is all clapped out now~em~days.

O yea im not using the stock crap lol just the housing. I read that you can squeeze a 10" in one so im gonna do that since I have a brand new Kicker :D.

Back