• Register Today It's free!

what tranny will be a perfect fit

924x4

Reaction score
City, State
kimberley,bc
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 xlt
hey, ive got a 92 explorer 5 speed with m50d-r1.. now im in an area where there is no pick and pulls or any junkyard so a friend of mine is going for me, that lives near one.. now i have looked through the sticky on this forum that is transmission and transfer case identifications.. but what im wondering is what trannys will be EXACT match, bellhouseing 4x4 everything. years for them and all. i know the sticky says m50d-r1 but i just dont want him grabbing the wrong one, thanks alot!

these trannys don't have a removable bellhousing. they are integral housings/ nonremovable.

direct fits will come out of (4X4's)...91-97 explorers, 94-97 B4000 mazdas, 91-94 mazda navajos, and 90-97 rangers with 4.0 engines.

the transmission type that you should have in your vehicle (unless someone has changed it out) is the mazda R1 (type Toyo Koyo)

later trannys will interchange as long as they are from a 4.0 and a 4X4. the only changes would be to sensors and the like. if your are looking to change the transfer case along with the tranny, you're dealing with either part-time or full-time and should stay with the same that you have unless you want to change out other things.......

....JJF

Some bronco2's with 2.9L engines from 87-90 have m5od's 2 or 4 wheel drive (2 wheel drive bronco2's have a 4x4 tranny with a dummy transfer case) and, the 2.9 has the same bell-housing as the 4.0L.
Also, first gear will be a lower ratio on the 2.9 m5od.

Back