• Register Today It's free!

What trans. service is best?

IBJEDI

Reaction score
City, State
Sunnyside,WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Limited
I want to have my transmission serviced(auto). I went to the place with the best reputation for honest work in our town,only problem was a language barrier.
He was telling me about the 2 kinds of service they offer.Could someone explain more about the second process to me? Any pros or cons?

1. Old fashioned trans. service. Drop the pan and change the filter etc...$75 bucks

2. New power flush method,flushes out the lines and everything BUT does not get my filter changed as the pan never comes off......$120 dollars.

Which service do you guys think is better?Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The filter in the A4LD is just a screen. It doesn't filter much of anything out. Go with the power flush.

Plus you can do the first one yourself if you really wanted to, not hard at all.

85Dave, YOU SHOULD NEVER USE THE SCREEN TYPE FILTERS.
Dacron is availalbe for that trans.

410Fortune said:
85Dave, YOU SHOULD NEVER USE THE SCREEN TYPE FILTERS.
Dacron is availalbe for that trans.

That brings up more questions. My Ex has 63K miles currently.
What came stock in the vehicle?
What are scheduled maint. on these auto transmissions?
If it was dealer serviced,what would a dealer likely use?

I appreciate the input/advice I'm getting here,thanks.
Thomas

dealer does backflush these days.
I believe they also drop the pan and change the filter at 60K.

Look in your maintenence guide/owners manual, should say what is recco, then you can call dealer and ask.

All Ford auto's I have ever seen use dacron filters OEM, no cheapo cardboard or screen types.

410Fortune said:
dealer does backflush these days.
I believe they also drop the pan and change the filter at 60K.

Look in your maintenence guide/owners manual, should say what is recco, then you can call dealer and ask.

All Ford auto's I have ever seen use dacron filters OEM, no cheapo cardboard or screen types.

So with the milage on my Ex (63K) I would be best off getting both done? I did not really want to spend over $200 to have the tranny serviced :eek:
But I love my ride :D
Thanks again for the help everyone :thumbsup:

Ford uses the Filtran filter, made by FRAM. People can argue til the cows come home about FRAM motor oil filters. But the FRAM transmission filter is superior. The filtran filter is ALL I recommend anyone use on any tranny. Any auto parts store that carries a FRAM transmission filter will have it.

One other thing... a pan drop filter change changes out about 50% of the fluid. Mixing new clean with old. The flush method replaces all the fluid, but I would still like to see a filter change. (will cost you another 4 or 5 quarts of fluid, plus the filter).
Cons on flush - some people feel a flush can dislodge gunk and stuff settled into nooks and crannies in the transmission, which ultimately can lead to shifting problems. That may be true is a very old unserviced tranny. I would tend to doubt it in a 50K mile one, but it is why I feel a filter change is a good idea.

Back