• Register Today It's free!

What Type of ATF to use?

#1Aggie

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer XLT
I have just it the milestone where it seems that everyone that I know with an explorer has to have their transmission rebuilt. However, I can't afford to happen.

So, I was wondering is there a secret to keeping our tranny's alive? It seems that the ones in the Explorer's are not the best, but that is what we are stuck with.

Some questions that I have is about ATF fluid. What type works best with our Transmissions, Motorcraft, Pennzoil, etc? In addition, does everyone just use the Mercon ATF? Does a higher visc ATF help shifting and make it last longer? I read on another board that some dealers were now putting Mercon V in all non-Type F transmissions. Has anyone used Mercon V in their Explorer?

I just want to keep on rolling and shelling out $1500 for a rebuild.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've ondered that too......

I have seen it stated on some bottles that Mercon V can be used in place of Mercon and that statement missing on others. I also thought that all mercon was a synth blend with new friction modifiers. Coastal Mercon V doesn't state anywhere that it is a synth blend. If it was, I'm sure they would have stated it. Also found on a transmission parts jobbers web site they sell an additive bottle that allows transmission shops to use Dexron III in Mercon V applications. Does that seem scarry to you? At this point I would accept only what is on the back of the bottle.

There is an improved filter for that A4LD that uses the partial glass filter element instead of the screen. This has double the filter element area of the old style. The older filters used the filter element for the 2WD and the wire screen for the 4WD. I found that at bulkparts.com, you can get an American SPX/FILTRAN for $10.35 instead of the Taiwan Autozone for $21.99.

I found that the valve body bolts loose on my transmission when I last changed the filter. This may be te cause of some problems in older transmissions. Transtec sells a valve body gasket kit for the A4LD that is double thick to compensate for casting warp. So this must be a problem in some.

im not gonna recommend a tranny fluid, due to the fact that it may start World War III. i will say that I run B&M Trick Shift Synthetic in mine (different tranny than yours), and have had very good results with B&M tranny fluid in the past. i have ran it in abused street applications, and in a race tranny, and have never had problems with it. i WILL recommend one thing, however. get a big aftermarket tranny cooler. the worst thing about an auto is heat, and a tranny cooler can extend life considerably, even if you never tow/race/etc. if yours has one on it factory, it is not big enough. do like i did, and run monster cooler inline with stock cooler. cheap insurance, IMHO.

How many miles are you talking about?

I have used Mobil 1 ATF for the last 50k miles with no troubles whatsoever.

I did add a secondary transmission filter; take a look at Dead Link Removed

Well, if I were you I would do everything possible to keep that piece from exploding. Go ahead and get a bigger trans cooler, bigger than stock if possible, and with a fan would be the best! Secondly, install a second transmission filter. This will allow for cleaer fluid, and it will allow the tranny to hold more fluid, thus a cooler tranny. There was a huge thread on the installation of the second filter and I bet you will find it VERY helpful. Problem is that I don't remember what it was called, so do a search on it. If you are really interested Transgo (and another brand name too) makes a shift kit for the tranny, which will allow for firmer shifts. That will lengthen the life of your tranny aswell as give it better performance. They are not expensive too. :) Finally, Synthetic ATF fluid goes without saying. Lots to chose from. I like Redline personally but it is a bit more expensive than mobil 1 for example... I think . Redline makes some of the best synthetics out there. There oil is a step above a lot of other synthetics out there (they can withstand and stay stable in the hottest part of a jet engine!)

Some shops offer a power flush system which flushes the entire system out as opposed to traditional draining methods, which only get out a small portion of the contaminated fluid. FACT- 9 out of 10 auto transmissions fail due to over heating :eek: !Don't allow your torque to pull your car,especially up hill, form what I heard, it really cooks up your tranny,so just give her gas instead. I just hope it's not too late for yours:). Happy driving, and sorry for babbling.

Mercon V

Thanks for all of the advice and I will definately be looking into doing some or all of these items.

1. Where is a good place to find and aftermarket cooler? Since I live in Houston, this sounds like a very good idea.
2. A couple people recommended Synthetic ATF. Is the Mercon V Synthetic or dino?
3. Does anyone had any good or bad experiences using Mercon V in a Gen 1 Explorer?
4. I have heard that some Synthetic ATF's are too thin for some older transmissions resulting in slippage.

For the record, I have had the fluid changed out every year since I owned it. Maybe that has helped me last this long.

Thanks again for the advice!

Re: Mercon V

Originally posted by #1Aggie
1. Where is a good place to find and aftermarket cooler? Since I live in Houston, this sounds like a very good idea.

4. I have heard that some Synthetic ATF's are too thin for some older transmissions resulting in slippage.

Most auto parts stores such as Pep Boys carry aftermarket coolers.

Nonsense.

Coolers.....

Go to bulkparts.com and click on coolers. They have a wide selection and are right in Texas. What can I say, I like them for quality, price, and selection.

PS: I used to live in Texas. Favorite Texas bumper sticker; STEERS AND QUEERS, NOWHERE BUT AUSTIN.

#1Aggie,

I can help you out with synthetic ATF. Just shoot me an e-mail.

BTW, I'm Class of '81.

Originally posted by AgExplorer
#1Aggie,

I can help you out with synthetic ATF. Just shoot me an e-mail.

BTW, I'm Class of '81.

Class of '86.

Back