What type of brake pistons came factory on an 02 sport? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What type of brake pistons came factory on an 02 sport?

Taxhero

Reaction score
City, State
Hoisington, Kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer Sport
I’m going to replace the pads on my 2002 explorer sport 4wd, automatic transmission. I’m pretty sure the calipers are oem. When checking on pads, there’s types for phenolic pistons and for steel pistons. Is there a way to know which pistons it has without taking the calipers off? Currently this is my only vehicle to drive, I commute 100 miles a day and only have evenings to work on it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

iirc phenolic pistons are a darker color, and the steels will scratch if you scratch them. aside, i dont really know how to tell them apart. iirc it only makes a difference not he rear pads right? front pads are all same

iirc phenolic pistons are a darker color, and the steels will scratch if you scratch them. aside, i dont really know how to tell them apart. iirc it only makes a difference not he rear pads right? front pads are all same
Unfortunately the rears are the ones needing replaced more than the front. When looking up the front pads, they don’t specify different types, so, yes I think it’s the rears. I do think some rear pads also don’t specify

I know the phenolic caliper pads have smaller bore clips. Any way to getting a thin magnet in there?

There are six "Similar Threads" on the bottom of this page. Almost guaranteed to find a definitive answer for your 2002 Sport.

Reading through the first similar thread "Phenolic vs Steel caliper pistons" I would almost bet you have phenolic caliper pistons after reading about a 2003 Sport. You could buy the 667 steel and 667A phenolic pads and return the unused set.

I know the phenolic caliper pads have smaller bore clips. Any way to getting a thin magnet in there?

There are six "Similar Threads" on the bottom of this page. Almost guaranteed to find a definitive answer for your 2002 Sport.

Reading through the first similar thread "Phenolic vs Steel caliper pistons" I would almost bet you have phenolic caliper pistons after reading about a 2003 Sport. You could buy the 667 steel and 667A phenolic pads and return the unused set.
Yeah, I went through the similar threads, but they had no information on figuring it out before disassembling. I’m ordering the parts online because even the cheapest at the auto parts stores are double or even triple the prices on rock auto, I’m going to spend an extra $15 and order both sets of pads along with new rotors. Even after shipping, it’s less than half the cost for similar grade parts

Back