What type of gas milage has everyone been getting on 2011 Explorers??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What type of gas milage has everyone been getting on 2011 Explorers???

cdm2000

Reaction score
City, State
Cincinnati, Ohio
Hi,

We've only had our explorer for about a week and have about 200+ miles on it. With the first tank we were averaging about 14 mpg in the city and so far with the start of the second tank I've getting around 10-11 mpg. I'm wondering if it's because it's new and not broken in yet or my driving? lol
I'm trying to be conservative with my city driving.

I have a 2011 XLT FWD.

So what are you getting??

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have an '11 XLT AWD. 19.5-20 around town, 21-23 on the highway, 13.7 towing a 5000 lb trailer in the mountains.

MPG the first 1000.

Limited AWD wide range of conditions. 17 to 23. currently at average of 21.
Love everything about this vehicle.

18.5 in town, 21 on highway. Much better after the first 2000 miles.

At first, when I got my car from the dealership, I averaged 11 - 13 MPG, then my numbers were similar to yours, around 15 MPG after 500 miles. I then started avg 17 MPG at 700 miles. Then I went on a trip to New York. Then my MPG dropped back down to 14 - 15. =( I think it's because of all the ethanol in the fuel.

I had two free tanks of gas from the dealership and I believe theres contain no ethanol. I avg 16 - 17 on their gas. It lasted me 700 miles. When I gas up now at the local stations, all of them have ethanol in it and my MPGs will never go higher than 15.2.

I'm getting 19.8 mpg for the 800 miles I have had it. I drive like a granny in traffic, because it makes no sense to gas it between gaps in traffic or between red lights. On the highway, I will cruise at 70-75. If I had more highway on my commute, I could easily get above 20 mpg.

Really impressed with these numbers, never got more than 16-17 mpg in my 98 Ex.

Man im getting better mileage than you guys in my 96 5.0

With about 4500 miles on mine, I'm at 19 mpg. Started out at about 13, and has slowly gotten better the longer I have it. Also, I've added in some highway driving over the last month.

I am getting about 21 mpg with 80% interstate driving. I have 3,000 miles. During periods that I stay at lower speeds, I get more like 22 mpg.

At first, when I got my car from the dealership, I averaged 11 - 13 MPG, then my numbers were similar to yours, around 15 MPG after 500 miles. I then started avg 17 MPG at 700 miles. Then I went on a trip to New York. Then my MPG dropped back down to 14 - 15. =( I think it's because of all the ethanol in the fuel.

I had two free tanks of gas from the dealership and I believe theres contain no ethanol. I avg 16 - 17 on their gas. It lasted me 700 miles. When I gas up now at the local stations, all of them have ethanol in it and my MPGs will never go higher than 15.2.

Sorry, I am going to come out and say it! You must be a ****ty driver. There, I said it. Again, sorry.:) With the combined knowledge that you are getting 15.2 MPG's and having torque steering issues, you must not really know how to drive a 6,000 pound SUV very well.

Flame away. I have my suit on!:D

Sorry, I am going to come out and say it! You must be a ****ty driver. There, I said it. Again, sorry.:) With the combined knowledge that you are getting 15.2 MPG's and having torque steering issues, you must not really know how to drive a 6,000 pound SUV very well.

I agree. Must have an extremely heavy foot. If you can't drive this conservatively in the city it's going to chew up the gas. When my wife get's in it ( and she's got a severe lead foot) You can see the gas gauge move. This is the first vehicle that has showed her how bad of a driver she is. I LOVE IT. She is actually making an effort now to try and beat the my 20 MPG in the city. Haha, good luck to her. She'll get angry at something and then she'll race to the red light, slam the brakes and then jump on the gas when it turns green..... Oh and by the way, she does hard accelerations all the time, she is tiny and has never once complained of torque steer. I have jumped on it to a couple of times and took exit ramps going 89 km and no prob. My advice, drive a little more older. ;):salute:

My 50/50 driving split has been averaging 20-21 MPG. I'm thrilled with that, being I was only getting 20-22 MPG with my Pontiac G6. I was however disappointed with the measly 22 MPG I got when I took a short road trip a few weeks ago.

My overall average to date is 18.3 MPG with my Limited 4WD but this includes a lot of short trips that don't help the average. I can get pretty great numbers driving carefully at under 70 MPH (110 km/h) but find that the mileage suffers a lot once you start to go much above that.

I am averaging 18.7 mpg after 1200 miles on my limited FWD.

Lol well I guess maybe I can check how I drive. Compared to the way I accelerate, I don't seem to accelerate any faster than other cars I see. I coast when I can and I try to keep my RPMs below 2.5 when I accelerate. I do 100% city driving. As I said, I was getting 17 MPGs before I started pumping the 10% ethanol gas. My habits have not changed then. I might as well drive with my foot hovering over the brake.

Then I went on a trip to New York. Then my MPG dropped back down to 14 - 15. =( I think it's because of all the ethanol in the fuel.

I had two free tanks of gas from the dealership and I believe theres contain no ethanol.

The dealer's gas also contains ethanol. Pure Gas is pretty hard to find. But, it is out there.

I've been averaging 18.9 with about 20% city driving and I am actually pretend to be a hyper-miler. Everyone out accelerates me from a stop, I try not to accelerate up hills, etc. At 18.9 I am fairly disappointed and am really hoping to see some improvement as I pass the first 1000 miles.

One thing I have noticed is that there seems to be a lot of engine-braking whenever I completely lift off off the throttle. I live outside a small town and have the ability to time the few traffic lights from a long ways out. If the light has just turned red and I am still 1/2 mile out I like to coast up to it and with luck I get there just after it has changed to green. When I do this in the Explorer it definitely slows down a LOT more than my last SUV.

LTD- AWD, 1600 miles. Average is 18.5mpg since picking it up. On the highway I can get around 21mpg at 75 mph

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

XLT-AWD averaging around 20 in town & 22 highway.
Try to stay between 70 & 75mph on highway.

Back